OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

holographic sites

Started by Prohunter3509, May 15, 2016, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

Fixing to buy a telescopic sight for turkeys next year
My ? Is what would be better a dot or a circle with a dot in center
Is it a personal preference I am in late 50 ' s and eyes not so good. I am considering eotech not sure on what model .

guesswho

I switched from an Eotec to a Vortex Venom.  I like the smaller and lower profile.  I didn't know if I would like just the dot as much as the dot with a circle around it.   But after my first season this year using it, I think I like just the dot better.  Personal preference, but I really like the smaller lighter sight.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Have shot both and can't say as I have a preference. After having a dot scope for many years I don't think I will go with anything else. Considered a regular scope but don't like the consequences of improper eye positioning with 3.5" turkey loads.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

rblake

I use a red dot. AimPoint Comp3. They are $$$$. I used it while I was in the Army. Mine is mil spec and the battery life is unreal. (50,000 hours in day light use) Would not want to hunt without it.
Mountaineer by birth and choice. Grand Slam 2013

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on May 15, 2016, 08:16:13 PM
Have shot both and can't say as I have a preference. After having a dot scope for many years I don't think I will go with anything else. Considered a regular scope but don't like the consequences of improper eye positioning with 3.5" turkey loads.
Have 2 of my guns with scopes and one with a red dot. I wouldn't trade neither of my scope guns for a red dot. But my eyes are a lot older. Happy, if you don't have a 20 gauge, your missing the boat, if you had a 20 gauge you wouldn't never carry a 12 gauge again.

Tombo

I have a burris ff3 on my m2 20ga and fixing to put one on my 12. I like the simplicity of a red dot

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 20, 2016, 05:04:17 PM
Have 2 of my guns with scopes and one with a red dot. I wouldn't trade neither of my scope guns for a red dot. But my eyes are a lot older. Happy, if you don't have a 20 gauge, your missing the boat, if you had a 20 gauge you wouldn't never carry a 12 gauge again.
Have a 20 set up for my boy and it's a legitimate 40 yard gun with federal hevi weights.  Call me sentimental but that 835 of mine is my companion for as long as it lasts. Not knocking the 20's though. They are deadly with the right choke and ammo.

jepcho

I know the feeling with a regular scope, hunted with one for 1 season.

Happy

Yeah that. Did it once with a .375 H and H. Don't care to repeat.

Prohunter3509

Wow I hope you killed the bird. Lol

Greg Massey

Quote from: jepcho on May 21, 2016, 01:38:27 PM

I know the feeling with a regular scope, hunted with one for 1 season.

shoot a 20 gauge and you want have to worry about the scope hitting you. shoots just as good as any 12 gauge..

stinkpickle

I prefer using a simple dot.  I have a Burris FFIII on my main gun and a Vortex SPARC II on my backup.

TerryLNanny

I like the Eotech, it's got the dot with circle, but you're really only aiming with the dot. You can get dot holographic sights alot cheaper though.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

TauntoHawk

Hate scopes, love reddot for turkey guns

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Prohunter3509

Got my ff3 today so fixing to start checking it out
Been shooting in on my ar
Getting used to it