turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slam complete

Started by misfire, May 13, 2016, 05:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfire

I live in Georgia, so the Eastern has been a main stay for me. Back in 2008 I got a chance to go to south Florida and busted a nice Osceola. Still didn't consider going for the slam, even though the hardest was in the books. That all changed two years ago when I got an invite to Kansas to hunt with a great friend and his son. Took him up on it and by the second afternoon I was done with the Rio. So last year I took a chance and went to Nebraska where I got beat like a rented mule for 6 long and agonizing days. Had a couple of opportunities the second morning, but thought I could do better. MISTAKE! So this year I booked a trip to New Mexico and the second morning everything fell right where God wanted it. Steep doesn't begin to describe the terrain, nor does adding in the fact that I was hunting at 9000+ feet above sea level, definitely put a hurting on this old fat guy. That morning I knew a bird was roosted on a ridge, so I got there extra early and began a long trek up the side of that blasted mountain. Had to stop 5 or 6 times to catch my breath. Found a small plateau where I thought the bird would pitch down too and sat against a tree with my gun pointed to that spot. The bird began gobbling in the dark and I knew he was only 40yds from me, even knew which tree, just couldn't see him yet. Finally get enough light and I see him strutting on the limb and gobbling. When he finally did fly down, he flew away and my heart sank. He would gobble, but I could tell he was walking away. Just then a hen starting clucking up the hill from us, every time she would cluck, I would hit her back instantly. Well, that fired up a nasty ol hen that was with the gobbler. So I started hammering at her on a slate call, that really ticked her off. I have never hit a call so hard, thought I had cracked the slate. She came up the hill and dragged him with her. He was 20yds behind me gobbling, so I had to maneuver around the tree, put the dot on his head and dropped him. That's when the fun began. I dropped my head and gave a few words of thanks to God, then the gobbler started flopping and rolling. Now I am on my feet, chasing that darned heathen BACK down the stupid mountain, he even rolled under a barb wire fence and kept going. I finally caught up to him, thankful and worn out. Then looked back up the mountain and my knees buckled as I had to go back up there and retrieve all my gear :TooFunny:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

cramerhunts

Congratulations on the slam and great job on the story. Enjoyed the read and could picture that old gobbler flopping and rolling down the hill.

Bowguy

SteelerFan

Congratulations on the slam!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

:gobble:

merocustomcalls

nitro

Way to go Lee!!!

I know you well enough to predict what you said as you looked up the hill " CRAP"..

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Congrats again. Couldn't happen to a better person!!!! I'm proud of you.
Royal Slam 2008

GobbleNut

Congratulations again, Lee.  ...Enjoyed having you here!
Jim

trkycaller

Greg Massey

Congrats, on a great job...

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

renegade19

owlhoot

Congrats on your slam

WiLL B

Congrats!! Enjoyed the story!!

mwr

Smooth_Operator

Congrats Lee! Sounds like quite the adventure, way to go bud...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."