OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Memorable KY Season Comes To An End

Started by Mabren2, May 11, 2016, 07:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabren2

There was a lot of conflicting reports around me about the quality of this season in north central KY, but I certainly can't complain. I had those days where you feel like every move you make is the wrong one, and got the silent treatment a couple days, but thanks to perseverance and surely some help from Lady Luck both my tags were filled and a lot of great memories made. This is my second season making pot calls, and the first with anyone using them except myself. The ceramic call I made for myself was a part of four kills, including a 4-bearded stud that was by far my best bird to date. My hunting buddy killed his personal best, a huge bird with 3-beards, using one of my double glass calls, and I got to be part of another hunt on the last weekend where I called in a beautiful gobbler that had a sprig of a second beard sprouting. I had never personally witnessed a multi-bearded kill, and this year I was fortunate enough to put my hands on 9 beards between 3 birds! Of the calls I sold to people I am in regular contact with, I know my aluminum two-sider calls accounted for 5 birds and two father-son doubles. All in all it was a great season, and as always, I hate to see it end. I can't wait to get after them again next season, but I know I'll never forget this 2016 season! Here are some pics:

My youth hunting buddy with his Jake:

My 4-bearded bird:

My buddy's 3-bearded stud:

Bird #2 for me:

As the sun sets on a wonderful season:

Thanks for reading, and to those of you still hunting, good luck!

kyturkeyhunter4

SteelerFan

cramerhunts

Some great birds, your calls must be working! Congratulations!

tomstopper

Looks like it was a great season. Congrats

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

possum#1

Congrats! I am glad someone had a good season here in Ky. It was the worst season I have ever had. I only saw 1 legal bird all season. I hunted public land and it was quiet all season.

coyote1

Congrats! Your calls look like they are working great.

mgm1955

WiLL B

Mabren2

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Quote from: possum#1 on May 11, 2016, 07:44:12 PM
Congrats! I am glad someone had a good season here in Ky. It was the worst season I have ever had. I only saw 1 legal bird all season. I hunted public land and it was quiet all season.

Man that stinks. Last year was a silent season for me. I was fortunate enough to tag out on my last two hunts of the final week, but they were both silent hunts too, and it was definitely a grind. I had several buddies who gave the same report as you this season, and a few who actually gave up halfway through because they hadn't heard a gobble in a week. It certainly seemed to be spotty for some reason. I am fortunate enough to have access to a couple great tracts of private land, so that definitely helps. I hope things turn around for you next year!

possum#1

There is always next year. Congrats again on your year.

Dr Juice

Your second bird has some rope! Congrats.

owlhoot