OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good trail cam for around $100?

Started by supremepredator, May 10, 2016, 04:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

Looking to replace my old wildgame inovations cam. The things im looking for in a cam are.
1. It has to be able to take videos.
2. It needs fast recovery time and trigger speed.
3. At least 8 mega pixels (10 would be ideal).
4. Most importantly it has to be durable and not break after 1 season.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You have to remember that that these cameras are deployed in the outdoors and exposed to a myriad of weather patterns, temperature changes and humidity.  It's just not possible to meet even half of these criteria in that price range. 

FL-Boss

I have been having good luck lately with the Primos Proof Cam 02.  Under $100.  I run about 7 cameras year around -  they never turn off. So I go through them. 

Greg Massey

I have both primos and stealth cams, i look for the cameras that have just turn a switch or push a button. Of all five cameras i ran this pass deer season and before turkey season, this may sound crazy but one of the camera that took just as good of pictures as any 140.00 one was the cheap primos easy cam 5 megapixel. I got 2 of these cameras before xmas on sale for like 29.99. I wish i had bought couple more of them. As for as weather and stuff you can make covers and stuff to protect the cameras and you can take a flat piece of 3/4 wide x 6 inch long metal and weld a piece of 5 - 6 ft. chain on the flat metal, and have a hole drill in the other end of the flat metal for a lock. Just slide the flat metal thru the back of the camera the same way the web strap goes thru the back of the camera and lock it up. We lock all our cameras this way and have never had one stolen. We made out protective covers out of roll thin flashing.

tomstopper

As much as I hat to admit it, I had gotten a wildgame trail cam (not sure what model it is but I know my wife paid about $70 for it) as a gift about 4 years ago and its still going strong.

Kwgoke

Spurs

Save your money a little longer and step up to the 150 range. 

MP doesn't matter near as much as people think it does.  An 8 MP camera with a good lens will have twice the clarity of a 12 MP camera with a crap lens. 

Battery life was a big deal with me too.  I bought a camera for about 70 bucks a couple of years ago...dang thing dang near broke me on AA batteries every few weeks.

Also, you will regret not having a No Flash camera if you plan on getting night pictures. 

I have had a lot of bad issues with the cheaper cameras.  You will come out money ahead of you do the research and spend probably 150-200 once and save the money on batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spurs on May 11, 2016, 12:24:17 AM
Save your money a little longer and step up to the 150 range. 

MP doesn't matter near as much as people think it does.  An 8 MP camera with a good lens will have twice the clarity of a 12 MP camera with a crap lens. 

Battery life was a big deal with me too.  I bought a camera for about 70 bucks a couple of years ago...dang thing dang near broke me on AA batteries every few weeks.

Also, you will regret not having a No Flash camera if you plan on getting night pictures. 

I have had a lot of bad issues with the cheaper cameras.  You will come out money ahead of you do the research and spend probably 150-200 once and save the money on batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to say the cameras out now don't eat the batteries and last a lot longer. Good place to buy your batteries is Harbor Freight. You can get a 24 pack of alkaline batteries for less than 5.00 dollars.

Greg Massey

Go to Chasinggame.com forum, it's all about trail cameras and reviews about all the trail cameras.

Buzzkiller

The Browning cameras are the ones that I have had the best luck with.
Strikeforce HD is a great camera $120

Greg Massey

Quote from: gobblegobblegobble on May 11, 2016, 05:35:50 AM
Lithium batteries are absolutely worth the money over alkalines.

I have cameras that I've had to have run for over a year (several months at a time) and they still show full charge. Those are Covert MP6 cameras, for reference.
Agree the lithium are the best. I've got cameras running with the cheap Alkaline from Harbor fright, that are over 6 months old and still taking pictures.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Fullfan

Bushnell trophy cams , I have 15 of them . Great battery life and has sound with the video. Watch e bay and you can find the older models for under 100.00.
Don't gobble at me...

Redfish

I have run 8 cameras for several years and I have a mix of Moultrie, Wild Game and Browning as of now. I have tried just about every brand there is. I have had good ones of all brands and bad ones of each also. I like the trigger speed of the Brownings but I have had two of them go nuts this year and take 4000 pictures in one day and eat the batteries. The Wild Game cameras occasionally start taking foggy looking pictures (I do live in Florida which is a rain forest)so I take them home and open them up in front of a fan for a couple of days and they work fine for a while. The cheaper Moultries I have that run on C cells run forever on a set of batteries and are pretty dependable but take the worst looking pictures of the three. The best advice I can give is keep the boxes and receipts to every camera. I have had good luck returning them to Academy and Dicks as much as a year later for a refund. If not, most companies will replace them if you stay on them about it. If anyone says they have found a brand that is 100% dependable I would have them pick up my lottery tickets for me because they are very lucky.
John 3:16