OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Our local Wal Mart

Started by tha bugman, May 10, 2016, 05:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Every year around here we get excited to see the turkey stuff come out at wal mart. (I know I enjoy watching my bug zapper to). Anyway this year seemed like selection was at an all time low.  I go to a store 30 miles down the road to a smaller town and they are packed with stuff. It barely got out before season started.  I know for a fact that it has been a steady decline in what they put out for turkey and deer.  What's yours like in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejd

It's been lousy for a while now. But I have to assume that the managers have a say in what gets ordered due to what actually sells in the area. And where I hunt I have seen a drastic decline in turkey hunters.

KYFrid

We just had a Cabelas open here in Lexington a few months ago. It has one little half row for turkey stuff.
Pretty sad...

Hookinembig

Our selection is usually pretty decent but this year it dropped off big time at walmart. We had a cabelas open around here in Richmond, VA just before turkey season and they had 3 or 4 rows of turkey stuff but super expensive compared to amazon.

jed clampett

Local WalMart where I live in central Illinois does not carry one single thing for turkeys..they have a little bit of stuff for bow hunting but that's it...hard to find a place close...50 miles to bass pro in Peoria is closest...was up in Wisconsin a week ago...i sure wish we had a mills fleet farm...WOW

eddie234

A few years ago our Walmart had all kinds of turkey stuff. Choke tubes, vest, shells, all kinds of camo. I got my HS Strut suv vest there and it been my all time favorite. Seem the selection has dropped of and they switch manufacturers yearly. Everything seems to be mossy oak this year. They've got no choke tubes and hardly any shells.
I'm always getting stuff after season cheap but they've got no selection anymore.

Spurs

WalMart is slowly removing hunting related items due to the push from the liberal outcry against hunting.  It is the same reason that places like Dick's has moved away from firearm sales and more into the clothing markets.

This year is going to suck!!!

WisTurk

Your guys' Walmarts must be different than the ones around here.  Their "hunting department" is little more than about half an aisle with a handful of basic items and a small cabinet of general ammunition (might have some cheap turkey loads like Remington Nitros or something like that).  I never consider them when looking for any hunting stuff except for maybe Sawyers permethrin bug spray or something.  It's always been that way for as long as I can remember.

silvestris

Walmart carries about 98% junk.  The local retailer carries about 75% junk.  The new turkey hunter buys junk for an average of three years and if he sticks with turkey hunting, he usually gravitates to custom callers.  Once you have a camo suit, a good caller and some shells, what more does he need.  Not much left for the retailer to sell except for those who think they can't kill one without a flock of decoys and a popup blind and neither Walmart or your local retailer is going to be astute enough to carry the new Robo Guinea.  Long time turkey hunters offer little to the local retailer.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Jroddc

Quote from: silvestris on May 10, 2016, 11:54:03 AM
Walmart carries about 98% junk.  The local retailer carries about 75% junk.  The new turkey hunter buys junk for an average of three years and if he sticks with turkey hunting, he usually gravitates to custom callers.  Once you have a camo suit, a good caller and some shells, what more does he need.  Not much left for the retailer to sell except for those who think they can't kill one without a flock of decoys and a popup blind and neither Walmart or your local retailer is going to be astute enough to carry the new Robo Guinea.  Long time turkey hunters offer little to the local retailer.

X2

TauntoHawk

buy almost everything off the internet these days, best prices and easy to find exactly what im looking for an can do it from work.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Greg Massey

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 10, 2016, 12:30:22 PM
buy almost everything off the internet these days, best prices and easy to find exactly what im looking for an can do it from work.
Amen.. i order off the internet and get what i want and it's delivered to my front door. Great buys off the internet. I just order a Carlsons choke tube 575 off ebay for 25.00 and free ship for my 20 gauge just to have a extra choke tube. All i buy from Wal Mart is just a little ammo, garden stuff and a few misc. items. I still buy all my gas at Wal Mart or at least 90 percent of it..They still give a lot of people job's in my area. I don't think the pay is all that great.

FL-Boss

Bingo!

Quote from: Spurs on May 10, 2016, 11:00:39 AM
WalMart is slowly removing hunting related items due to the push from the liberal outcry against hunting.  It is the same reason that places like Dick's has moved away from firearm sales and more into the clothing markets.

Greg Massey

Don't forget to vote republican...party...take our country back...

tha bugman

Quote from: KYFrid on May 10, 2016, 07:12:06 AM
We just had a Cabelas open here in Lexington a few months ago. It has one little half row for turkey stuff.
Pretty sad...

Our bass pro selection was pretty slim as well.