OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Had to contain our laughs

Started by turkeyfeathers, May 09, 2016, 11:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfeathers

So my 13 year old daughter and I were sitting in our pop up blind this past Saturday. She's small and petite and uses a shooting bi pod so movement may be an issue with her. We had 4,5 maybe 6 birds ripping hard. They hung up over a ridge out of sight about 100 yards off. They went silent. Shortly after 2 jakes and a hen skirted below in our field so we have lots of action going on now. About 45 minutes of a silent lull I hear something directly behind us and close. I'm thinking silent bird sneaking in and what I hear is wings bumping undergrowth. Only the front window is open and a small portion of my side window to see the lower part of the field. All of a sudden as I'm peaking out the barely open window I see a Happy Birthday mylar balloon float by the small crack of the window. Mere inches from my head. I signal to my daughter to look. We both almost laughed. Here we are in the middle of nowhere and but a few houses miles away. Mind you there's no real tree canopy yet and this balloon could have risen at any time. It slowly bumps thru low lying branches until it hits the field edge and poof it rises straight up and soars into the sky. That got the heart racing.

stinkpickle

mgm1955

g8rvet

If you tell me it was either of y'alls birthday, I am cueing the Twilight Zone music. 

Funny stuff! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

captpete

I was expecting to hear that a relative snuck in with the balloon! :blob10: :blob10:

Strick9

Funny story! I hate finding those things everywhere though.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

TRG3

Why not make lemonade out of a lemon? Add a light weight turkey-type head, a little brown/black spray paint, tie it out front of the blind and WALLAH! you've got a decoy that's sensitive to the slightest breeze. It's also easily packed out at the end of the day. Now for an appropriate name...

357MAGNOLE

I have notice an extremely high number of balloons outside. They should make balloon releases illegal.  I must have seen at least 8-10 this year alone. A little ridiculous if you ask me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

supremepredator

:TooFunny: I had a similar encounter this year. I was walking an old logging road listening for gobbles when i looked up and saw something hanging in a tree on some neighbouring property. Sure enough it was a grocery store balloon just swinging in the breeze. I have no idea where it came from because the nearest house, much less store was over a mile away. :z-bdayparty:
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

tomstopper

Happy

Should have had a few hits of helium and tried out some voice calling.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club