turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does it matter if it's dirty?

Started by 101st501, May 08, 2016, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101st501

How does the cleanliness of the choke and barrel affect pattern performance?

spaightlabs

If you are punching paper it matters a lot.  If you are shooting a turkey it won't make the difference between killing cleanly or not killing.

g8rvet

Depends I guess. 

If your gun is marginal to start, then I would want to know how it shoots dirty vs clean.  Some on the patterning boards find a totally clean barrel not as good, but I wonder if that means some oil residue.  I would tend to think if you are in the 140-170 range at 40 yards, a dirty barrel would likely still kill a bird just fine.  With my guns, I know what they do. 

SA-459 20 - a little difference. still very huntable
879 youth - very little difference
879 12 - Hevi (old school Remington)- very little difference.  It actually shot no better after I did the full bore polishing.  None.  Averaged exactly the same.  Now I don't believe that would be true with my gun and different choke/load combos, but with my load/choke it made no difference.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

renegade19

My 870 supermag patterns better after it's had 3 or 4 rounds through it.

Greg Massey

My new 870 youth shoots fine. I just wipe the barrel out and take it hunting. Killed 2 nice birds with it already.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Like g8rvet said, it depends.  For me, a few shots after a deep clean not so much.  Ten, a lot.

paboxcall

During the season, pull a dry bore snake through it between shots, assuming the pattern is pretty good to begin with.  You should be good to go till the end when you can take care of it.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Gooserbat

My 870 20 ga shoots better dirty, both of my twelves it matters very little.  The best way to find out is range time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

after a shot in the field I run a dry bore snake through then a single patch of rubbing alcohol, it clears debris and build up.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

I always clean mine with a bore snake in between shots if I am patterning just to maintain standardization of the process as best I can.

turkeyfoot

Clean mine before and after no issues even with patterning my 870 shoots same with no cleaning between shots