turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Niobrara Nebraska question

Started by Tailwalk, May 08, 2016, 02:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tailwalk

Anyone familiar with the birds in this area??? Are they hybrids or merriams. I know the NWTF shows they are hybrids but has anyone killed some no doubt merriams there???? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

I've hunted it several times and am currently staring at 11 tail fans on my wall that are as white as they get have also killed several buff colored. Now are the hybrid or not I could care less myself and only way anyone can really say is with testing of your in right creek drains you'll have fun

Blackwing

I'm headed there this week. From what I know there are supposed to be a lot of clean white birds there. I'll find out soon!

hobbes

I know everyone back east wants snow white, but the idea that all Merriam's are snow white simply is not true.  Their color varies just like any other subspecies.  I've killed multiple birds in areas that have seen nothing but Merriam's that were a buff color instead of snow white.

I know that complicates the whole hybrid thing.  However, if the state has released both Merriam's and Rios in the general vicinity you can make the assumption that they are all hybrids to some degree after several years.  Birds from the same clutch of eggs may vary in color with some displaying the whiter tips that folks associate with Merriam's and others displaying a little more coloring similar to that of a Rio,  but they are all still hybrids.

If the NWTF map or the respective state's map says Merriam's,  I'd call it a Merriam's.  If it says Hybrid, Id call it a Hybrid.  If it's white tipped and killed in a Hybrid area, I'd call it a Merriam's if it made me happy.  :)  I'll almost guarantee that he won't gobble like an eastern either way.  You won't care as he struts in drumming and gobbling.

fallhnt

True Merriams turkey have short legs. Beards will be shorter due to that fact. Hobbes is also correct on color too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mgm1955

Our group killed 11 birds, one was pure white, the rest were more buff colored. IMO those ten were hybrids.

Tailwalk

Interesting points fellas! Thanks for your input. I'm heading there Thursday to have a go at some merriams/ or hybrids. Also the hybrid would be considered a merriam/eastern there I believe.

jepcho

I went out there with a buddy last year and we each killed birds with white tips.  We did see some that were more buff color.  I consider what we killed to be merriams.  Either way, it is a beautiful area!  I loved hunting there and really would love to go back.  You will have fun.

turkeyfoot

you are correct will be eastern/merriam to far north for Rio. And as said the color has nothing to do with purity in strain that is why I could care less about it they are as fun of a bird as can be had and prettiest of all to me have fun and enjoy the experience

Farmboy27

It's not really as cut and dry as "white tips = merriams". Merriams turkeys are defined as having white to bluff colored tail feather tips. We all want those Snow White tips but some merriams don't have them.

Tailwalk

Well we had some luck

spaightlabs

Ozark870Hunter

United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

perrytrails

Nice birds, great pic.

Beautiful country for sure, congrats!!