OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This season is pretty bad for me, what about you.

Started by tleitch1865, May 07, 2016, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tleitch1865

This is one of the worst seasoni have had in 20yrs. Usually done by the first two weeks but fired once just to get 10 jakes comes and about to tear into my feathered jake. Gobbles all with hens and hens alrealdy have poults.

Before season breeding and gobbling started early in my area.

What are everyones thougths, i know some had good and bad.

I got one week left!

Spring Fever

turkeywhisperer935

Don't know where you are from but I'm from West TN and this has been my worst year by far too. Little to no gobbleing at all. If I don't have better results next year I may quit. It's been going downhill for a while where I hunt.

taylorjones20

West TN has been miserable for me this year.  Only had one bird work all season and my cousin missed him.  Didn't hear a gobble this morning!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

supremepredator

2 hunters in my area hunted the same area, 1 guy killed 1 bird the other tagged out at 5. That being said the guy that killed all 5 only called one in, on opening day he went to take a piss off the porch at camp and 2 hens and a Tom were out in the field. Boom! Dead bird. The day before the last day of the season he did the same thing!!! The other 2 birds he killed he dry gulched. Me personally only got 1 bird that wanted to play, but he saw me and took off. I also flushed a Tom out of a creek bottom, but couldn't get a bead on him. I had 6 jakes in gun range this year and harvested 1 of them.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Greg Massey

I'm in West Tenn. also and i have filled 3 tag's. I've just had to hunt harder and stay longer. Not a lot of gobbling this year at all. I've had and seen more hen's this year coming to the call. bird number 3 that i killed last wed. gobbled only 3 times all morning until i pulled the trigger on him around 11:15. I have saw a lot of Jakes this year also. But i think guys remember that warm spell we had before season opened and this early green up had a lot to do with our season this year. I've heard a lot of people saying the same about crappie fishing this year. Fishing has been crazy.

Spitten and drummen

This was by far my worst out of the last 15 or 20 years. I'm in southwest ms. It seems things were all but done with 2 weeks left. Oh well , how it goes sometimes years.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

g8rvet

Good season for me, but bad for my main goal.  Took my daughter a bunch of times and think she heard one gobble. I would go back the same place 3 days later and hear several.  Worked a bird to 100 yards and could not close.  Took her back 3 days later, same weather conditions - not a peep.  Just wanted to at least get her in the game. Did not even see a hen with her, although I did get one fired up for her at least to listen to.  I feel your pain.  Chin up though, last year was tough for me.  Killed one on the last day I could hunt for my only bird of the season.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

stinkpickle

This has actually been one of my better years.  I usually have the opposite experience as everybody else.  When they have good seasons, I have bad ones.  When they have bad seasons, I have good ones.  The same thing happens with deer seasons. 

TRG3

I hunted a total of seven days over three seasons and filled all three of my Illinois tags. It often takes less trips. My strategy doesn't vary much in that I try to set up close to a roosted bird or go to a field they typically move to after fly down. As the gobbling on the roost starts, I sound like a hen and eventually use my Primos gobble tube in response to gobblers on the roost, trying to move from a reluctant gobbler to one that challenges the real bird and gets him fired up. After fly down, I only gobble in response to the real bird on the ground and shut up once he starts my way. I use a Pretty Boy, Funky Chicken, or foam jake decoy directly behind a hen on the ground in a breeding position and set them up about 20 yards away. Typically, the tom sizes up the situation from 70+ yards away and then increases his speed after he commits to challenging my decoy. Early in the season, the most likely tom to respond is not the boss since he has real hens. In the late season when the real hens have gone off to nest, sometimes the boss comes in to challenge the intruder tom and steal his hen. I credit Ray Eye with an article noting the peck order that exists within both the gobblers and hens as a way to bring in birds. After reading some posts concerning fighting purrs, next season I plan to incorporate this method since it is a natural happening in the turkey world.

paboxcall

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 07, 2016, 04:01:14 PM
This has actually been one of my better years.  I usually have the opposite experience as everybody else.  When they have good seasons, I have bad ones.  When they have bad seasons, I have good ones.  The same thing happens with deer seasons.

:agreed:  Only gotten to hunt three days, batting .333 for punching tags. Had another long beard in for a buddy on day three who couldn't get the shot.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

OHturkey85

This has been the most disappointing year of turkey hunting I've had in 20 years.My Honey hole in southern ohio has dried up and back up north the neighbor that borders my land to the west started to timber on opening day(nonstop for three weeks) I always did well back there better luck next year

jayjay

Cutt

Quote from: tleitch1865 on May 07, 2016, 12:49:20 PM
This is one of the worst seasoni have had in 20yrs. Usually done by the first two weeks but fired once just to get 10 jakes comes and about to tear into my feathered jake. Gobbles all with hens and hens alrealdy have poults.

Before season breeding and gobbling started early in my area.

What are everyones thougths, i know some had good and bad.

I got one week left!

You never did say what area you are from, to let others know?

But I can tell you your Season sounds like what we deal with every year in Southern PA. Our Season dosen't start till May for the whole State and North to South vary greatly with the South area happening earlier. It's not uncommon in my region to see poults by the third week, with hunters every year reporting seeing them during the Season also.

But that dosen't mean you still can't fire a gobbler up and kill him. Sure it's not going to be like the easy early Season where they gobble their heads off and commit right to the gun. It's a tougher hunting but still can be done, as I said in the Southern part of PA, we seem to deal with it every year, so feel lucky it's not the norm for your area. But even years where I have seen poults, I have still taken nice birds even up to the last day.

Happy

Marland and West Virginia here. Having a decent year so far. 1 week of Wv Season left and 2 weeks for maryland. Have taken a bird in each state so far. Weather has been rough but on the few decent mornings we have had its been good. Hopefully can pick up another bird in each state but trying to get one for the boy as well. He only been able to get out once so far. Trying tomorrow tho.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club