OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This season is pretty bad for me, what about you.

Started by tleitch1865, May 07, 2016, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookinembig

In Central VA this season has been tough to say the least. I was able to kill a nice bird on opening day due to heavy scouting but after that it has been similar to deer hunting (BORING). The first week or two we could a least hear a gobble on the roost but no response to calls and nothing once they hit the ground. Now nothing on the roost or on the ground. We have called in bunches of hens but no gobblers or even jakes after the first day. Last week for us as well. My optimism is fading fast!

Fieldturkey

Or season in nc was good. Hunted opening day and doubled up with my day. Next day called in another gobbler and dad tagged out with number 2. The following Wednesday called up 3 gobblers on public land to tag me out and get two buddies a bird each. 3 days and six gobblers ain't bad.

jwright8

Southeast ky Was not so great either. Little gobbling.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

fields

central PA here...  so far, my worst season in years....  Rain, fog, wind,  you name it...  to top it off, the gobblers just arent gobbling....   hunting quiet turkeys, in my opinion- sucks....  good luck and keep at it..

Waynesworld23

I had an awful season broke my hand day before season started and had surgery two weeks after that so spent the season scouting when I could and watching birds with trail cameras and actually feel better about next season then I did this season
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Kylongspur88

Very tight lipped this year. We have seen tons of birds but they won't work and they have been mute the past 2 weeks. Looking forward to the fall season.

Turkeyman

This has been my best season ever as far as days hunted and birds bagged. I hunted three days in KS and got two birds. I hunted three days in MO and got two birds. I hunted two days in NY and got two birds. Now, I fully realize this is not normal and can return to "normal" at the drop of a hat LOL. I wasn't going to hunt PA but after getting my second NY bird yesterday went online and purchased a license.

wvmntnhick

Same boat as the OP. One week to go and I've yet to flip the safety off. Thought Thursday morning was going to be it. I was sadly mistaken. Bird showed up and only showed his head. I wanted him to clear some brush but he had other plans. That's the closest I've come all year at the moment. And I've probably hunted more this spring than ever before but this week is bad. I don't think things are going to work out in my favor time wise.

turkeyfeathers

NY here. Been out 5 times and 2 of those included as youth hunt with daughter. Had 2 birds hang up at 200 yards 2nd day and 5th day (yesterday) had 5-6 birds hang up over ridge at 100 yards. Other 3 days not a peep. All same area. Every year I say "I'm going to quit" and every year I'm far from quitting lol. Been pretty wet here. Just when a day or two I get bored we have an exciting day to keep us interested. It's only 8 days into regular season so at another point of the season I'm sure I'll 'want" to quit for the year.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

I laughed. :D  Mine was pretty good overall.  TN treated me badly, home was good.
Quote from: jayjay on May 07, 2016, 07:02:51 PM
:funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tleitch1865

I'm from west TN and it been rough. I have hunted 3 diffrent farms but nothing great at all. I'm not giving up but it sure do love it. Had a good show last week that kept me interested.  Hopefully to have on down this weekend but will see.

Alot of predators in our area have put hurting on the turkeys. 

renegade19

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 08, 2016, 02:55:30 PM
It's been a unique season.

Did unique up on some wary gobblers?   :funnyturkey:   Been a great year for me.  Had two tags, filled them both.  My buddy filled both of his.  Saw some great shows put on by some birds, heard lots of gobbling.  As usual, learned a lot.  Blessed year.

Farmboy27

Season is only a week old here in PA so I can't say yet. So far I've heard very few birds but I've only hunted 2 days. That being said I did work a bird on Saturday that I feel is very kill able with enough chances!  So far my season hasn't been good but it only takes one day and one hot bird to turn that around. Just hoping to get that day!

TerryLNanny

Had a good season down in NW FL. The bird's were all hened up, not gobbling much, but got close, got the hen's to respond, game over.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.