OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mountain Merriam's

Started by birddogdoc, May 07, 2016, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birddogdoc

Weird spring here in the Colorado high country.  Got this old bird at 8,500 feet in a foot of snow this week.  Passed on him twice last year...nice Merriam's with a 9.5 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs.  Taken with my 1937 Ithaca NID 16 bore full choked barrel at 25 yrds uphill...got lucky!

VA Gobble Addict

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Snood Life

renegade19

hobbes

Congrats!   Gotta love the mountain birds.

Smooth_Operator

Very nice, love Colorado any time of year...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

wernerjd

Very nice bird. Lived in Colorado for 5 years and miss every bit of it. What part of the state did you shoot that bird. I always hunted south west of Colorado Springs.

birddogdoc

Thanks for the replies everyone!  JD...I was in the Sangre de Cristos

hobbes

Congrats again!  I hunted the Sangres when I lived in CO 06 to 11.  I lived in Leadville most of that time.

birddogdoc

Hobbes...thanks!

I love that area and there are now more turkeys around the Arkansas River valley then one can imagine.  I love to fish the ark and chasing Merriam's is a total thrill!  Last year by the middle of May I was at 9,500 to 10,000 ft chasing one big tom in particular. 

mgm1955

spaightlabs

Lots of frustration in Colorado this year it seems - way to keep after them.

Farmboy27

Beautiful bird in beautiful country!  Congrats. Just out of curiosity, how did you know it was the same bird you passed on twice last year? 

stinkpickle

Noice work!  I'd love to try that, but I can't carry a gobbler lounger and an oxygen tank at the same time.  ;) 

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: