turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Siesta bird...

Started by Smooth_Operator, May 07, 2016, 09:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smooth_Operator

Thought I'd share a funny hunt from yesterday, I had busted some hens off the roost walking in yesterday morning so I kept that in the back of my mind that an assembly call might be in order later on in the day. Well, at about 3 pm yesterday afternoon I sit down at an old dirt road intersection as there were dust bowls and wing marks from strutting in the dry dirt (this was about 100 yards from where I had bumped the hens that morning).

So I'm sitting there, got settled in for a relaxing afternoon sit, and pulled out the ole Crystal Mistress and let her naw. It was windy so I really screamed that thing to pierce the wind. I then promptly fall asleep  :TooFunny: (I had a big lunch at the local dive). So I'm out for who knows how long, I'm guessing twenty, maybe thirty minutes. I remember trying to wake myself up but wasn't sure why, but when I finally was able to force my eyes open I had one gobble about 60 yards down the road out of sight.  I then hear a hen and another gobbler behind the first one. Here I am laid back, gun on the ground, drooling from my deep woods siesta and all I could think was "Sh*t, how long have they been there!!??"

I quickly gained my composure and got the gun up and ready. I gave em some sweet talk from my Daryl Slaton trumpet and saw the first Tom close the distance with the hen and other Tom in tow. I kept them coming with more sweet talk and within a few minutes they were all twenty yards away. Both gobblers strutting, gobbling, spittin', drummin', they put on one hell of a show. I sat back and watched the show for a good ten minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore, so I dropped the first Tom in his tracks.  I couldn't help but laugh at myself when it was over at the way things happen sometimes.  Been doing this a long time and the feeling was just as good as the first time, I hope I never lose that feeling! Moral of the story, deep woods naps are like no other, but there just might be a big ole boy gobbling his head off at you to wake up! Thanks for reading...

Blake

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

WiLL B

Now that's  the kind of nap I like to take! Congrats!

renegade19

:TooFunny:  Great story! Comgrats!

Greg Massey

Nothing like a gobbler alarm clock...great story and bird...

troutfisher13111

Great story and bird!

I really like the looks of that trumpet too

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: Terry on May 07, 2016, 10:48:36 AM
Great story and bird!

Daryl makes a fine trumpet, this is one of my favorites...

101st501

Talk about passing the time!!

SteelerFan

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on May 07, 2016, 11:11:18 AM
Great story and bird!

What kind of wood is that?

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: Terry on May 07, 2016, 01:53:24 PM
Quote from: Smooth_Operator on May 07, 2016, 11:11:18 AM
Great story and bird!

What kind of wood is that?

It's Thailand Rosewood...

paboxcall

Good plan - Congrats!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Dr Juice

Good story - congrats.

steveo

That's awesome ! Should sleep more often.......

Tail Feathers

Winning!   Nothing like a woods nap...and a Tom to boot! :blob10:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!