turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#2 VA bird....5-5-16

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, May 05, 2016, 07:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

I headed out to a farm I haven't hunted since the first couple days of the season hoping a bird me and my dad worked was still in the same area.  As I was walking in the sky was starting to grey.  When I reached the tree line where I planned on cutting into the woods I decided to hoot just in case he was roosted in a different location, since I had heard him in this area before the season.  As I hit the single note hoot, a bird gobbled back no more than 70 yards from me.  GAME ON!!  I made a small semi circle down into the patch of woods he was in and set up in an area the birds on this farm frequently head towards once on the ground.  As I slipped into position(thank god for the soaked ground from the recent rain), I found a large tree and slipped up to it.  As I was sitting down a hen busts out of a tree right next to me and flys out.  Hoping the game wasn't up already I sat tight and waited to see what was gonna happen next.  As it got lighter a bird began gobbling behind me about 300 yards off and another to my right about 200 yards.  When these birds started it got the one I originally heard started and to my surprise the one that originally gobbled turned in 4 longbeards.  As the 4 longbeards started really gobbling good I could tell one was only about 60 yards out and I was right, as I got lighter I could see him in the tree strutting and gobbling.  Pretty soon the woods were full of gobbling turkeys, I had 4 in front of me, 1 behind me, 1 to my right, and 1-2 deeper to my right.  Finally I watched as 3 longbeards pitched down and landed about 65 yards in front of me, but the bird I could see stayed in the tree strutting and gobbling.  Finally the bird in the tree pitched down but at an angle going away from me.  The 3 on the ground never came out of strut and we're slowly angling away from me also.  I guess I had my stars aligned or something, but all of a sudden 3 hens pitched from there roost and landed about 30 yards behind me.  Once they hit the ground they began feeding and one began to yelp softly.  Once this happened all 3 strutters turned and started heading my way, still all in strut.  All 3 closed the gap to about 35 yards when one finally stuck his head up to look around and that was it #2 was down. 

Nothing better than a trio of lovesick 2 year olds!!!

17lbs, 10 1/4 beard, 3/4 spurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

maytom

Congrats!!!! I see another wet one too!!!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

SteelerFan

Greg Massey

mgm1955

Hookinembig

Great job and awesome job on the hunting recap. It sounds like your neck of the woods was exceptional this morning especially for VA. Its been tough this year here in VA for us. Hopefully you will remember that hunt for a long time. Congrats on the beautiful bird.

Vaturkeyhntr

Quote from: maytom on May 05, 2016, 07:29:49 PM
Congrats!!!! I see another wet one too!!!

the birds here have to be waterlogged with all the rain we have had in the last week.

renegade19

That's the way we always wish it would happen!  My story usually ends with the whole flock flying off when I bump the first bird   :newmascot:  Congrats on a great hunt!

Vaturkeyhntr

Quote from: Hookinembig on May 05, 2016, 08:26:57 PM
Great job and awesome job on the hunting recap. It sounds like your neck of the woods was exceptional this morning especially for VA. Its been tough this year here in VA for us. Hopefully you will remember that hunt for a long time. Congrats on the beautiful bird.

Couldn't agree more!!! This has been one of the toughest/weirdest years I can remember for a while.

tomstopper

Snood Life

jepcho

Awesome story, congrats!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

Congratulations sounds exciting