turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Head west young man

Started by VA Gobble Addict, May 05, 2016, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA Gobble Addict

Headed out to South Dakota and Wyoming for the past week to try my hand at these beautiful merriams. Here's a few pics from the trip.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

spaightlabs

Those look a little like they may have a bit of Rio in 'em  from the colors on the tails?

Irrespective, nice birds in beautiful country!  Congrats.

VA Gobble Addict

Honestly I couldn't tell you. They were killed in the northern part of the hills so I'm hoping that is not the case. The game warden for the area said that 90 percent of them are this color. And it was beautiful country for sure. I'm finding it hard to load up the truck.

Greg Massey

Nice bird and great picture.

Tomfoolery

Congrats on some beautiful birds. Going next year will be my first time. I already can't wait. I ordered a map of the BH waiting on it to come in so I can start studying.

VA Gobble Addict

This was my first time too and I'm thinking about moving out here. Beautiful place, lots of game and great people. A word of advice, come as late as you can. I got here on Friday and they had a snowstorm going on and the highs were in the 40's and 50's until Tuesday. I spent 5 days running ridges and driving roads with only hearing one bird gobble and only seeing the one I bagged in the snow picture. The temps hit the 70's and 80's the past couple of days. I heard 8 different gobblers yesterday. Only on one road. The weather will make a huge difference. The other bird I killed just over the state line in Wyoming. Same deal. No gobbles for 5 days and then I hit the call yesterday when I saw a hen, he gobbled, and was in my lap in 5 minutes. Quickest hunt I've ever been on.

FL-Boss

I just got back a few weeks ago from there... near Devils tower. Crazy amount of turkeys.. and everything else for that matter.  One of the most scenic places I have ever seen..

Tomfoolery

Thanks for the advice. We are shooting for mid may. Is devils tower part of the BHNF ot it a different reserve ?

VA Gobble Addict

There is some national forest 15-20 minutes from there. I didn't hear or see any on that section though. But again it was bad weather when I went to that part.

Tomfoolery

I'm debating on getting the wyoming tag as well since I'm going to be there.

VA Gobble Addict

For $72 you get an extra turkey and a reason to explore more of the country. I drove a long way so an extra tag was a no brainier for me.

Tomfoolery

Yea, it's a heck of a drive for me also. 21 hours coming from louisiana. But the plan is to hopefully score early in the BHs and work back through kansas and hunt there also for a couple of days. Can you buy the wyoming tag over the counter there or do you have to get it online like SD?

VA Gobble Addict

Yeah that and the conservation stamp should be over the counter. I got mine online in February.

tomstopper

WisTurk

Awesome!  I'm leaving next weekend to do the same thing as you (got my SD tag already and plan on getting a WY tag if I tag out early enough in SD).  Plan on hunting more so in the southern portion of the hills though.  Fingers crossed it goes well!