only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Compass?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, May 05, 2016, 11:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 06, 2016, 08:06:39 PM
My truck isn't always north of me! Lol
I just use a hickory board with a nail and magnet it always points north...

g8rvet

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 06, 2016, 01:26:35 PM
Of course it is real.   I don't rely on "devices", "gadgets" or modern technology much.   They can fail or you may lose them or whatever so I don't bother with them gain not wanting to get reliant upon something that may not be there when you need it most.

BTW- Moss does grow on both sides of trees but most people know which side it grows thicker on.  You don't have to believe it is a fact.

MMmkay.  We are talking about a compass right?   A compass.  The thing that has a needle on it that points north.  The thing that was invented hundreds, if not a thousand years before the original incarnation of the firearm you carry?  The thing used by settlers of this country in the 1600s to find their way here and later find their way across this country and back again?  THAT compass is a "device" or a "gadget".  You know they don't work on batteries right?  They work on the magnetic pole of the earth. 

Oh trust me woodsman, I know what side moss grows on a tree - the shadiest side.  100% of the time. 

Flipping kids and their new fangled inventions like compasses.  It will never catch on.  Probably taught to sail by a sextant too.  I'm telling you, that is the type that is gonna sail right off the edge of the earth.  Next thing you know, these kooks will tell us the earth revolves around the sun.  DUMMIES.  I can see the sun moving, plain as day.  Crazy mixed up kids. 

I still think you are messing with us.  A 2000 year old device is "modern technology".  If you are not, you, my friend, are comedy gold.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TerryLNanny

Now y'all leave old school alone, if he wants to walk around in the woods aimlessly looking for Moss and what ever old tactics that brings him out of the wood's, I'll be killed his Gobbler.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

Greg Massey

Quote from: TerryLNanny on May 06, 2016, 08:41:23 PM
Now y'all leave old school alone, if he wants to walk around in the woods aimlessly looking for Moss and what ever old tactics that brings him out of the wood's, I'll be killed his Gobbler.
Lmbo...

LI Outdoorsman

I always wear a small Silva compass on a lanyard around my neck when hunting unfamiliar property

perrytrails

Quote from: fallhnt on May 05, 2016, 01:40:35 PM
I still have and use the same compass I had when I was a Boy Scout.
X2

Old Gobbler

I carry a military issue flip open compass , never runs out of batteries ....... And doesn't lie to you like politicians , lol
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greg Massey

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 07, 2016, 04:13:44 PM
I carry a military issue flip open compass , never runs out of batteries ....... And doesn't lie to you like politicians , lol
How can anything run out of batteries if you have a charged phone or charging stick. Now i do agree with you that you have to keep them all charged. How money times out in the field have you walked around with a dead cell phone. I do carry a old back up compass but with my cell phone i've never need it..I agree about the politicians.funny...

paboxcall

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 07, 2016, 04:36:49 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 07, 2016, 04:13:44 PM
How can anything run out of batteries if you have a charged phone or charging stick. Now i do agree with you that you have to keep them all charged. How money time out in the field have you walked around with a dead cell phone. I do carry a old back up compass but with my cell phone i've never need it..I agree about the politicians.funny...

Interesting, I just helped a backpacker few weeks ago out of a state forest who spent the night with a broken foot.  His phone and his charged stick both DOA over night looking for tower signal.

It happens.  Be prepared.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mikejd

I never go into the woods without my compass. Never really needed it to get to a bird.

TerryLNanny

I've done some pretty stupid things out there, especially around creeks and rivers. Stepped across a little branch once a couple years ago chasing a Gobbler, stopped to look around and thought to myself, this looks like a good place for a treestand for deer hunting. Well started looking for a tree and found one, it already had one of my stands in it. Wasn't lost just a little turned around. Always carry a good pocket compass.

Happy

Carry an old silva compass. Only thing I use it for is a bearing out if I get turned around. Like west to the road. I have always been gifted about getting around in the woods and have a good sense of direction. That being said anyone can get lost and I am not so naive as to believe I am above it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TerryLNanny

If I hear a Gobbler, I'm going to him, of course listing for other hunters, I'll worry about getting out latter.