OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Compass?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, May 05, 2016, 11:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

I carry a silva ranger, never go into the woods without it.

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Ihuntoldschool

I never  carried one.  When I get lost I just walk until I find familiar ground again.  I look at the sun if it's shining, look at the ridges and creeks; usually I have a good idea which way they run.  I'll listen to the sounds I hear or look for moss as well to help guide me.

catman529

Never used a compass unless I turn it on while using the maps or arcGIS apps on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Used to hunt the Adirondacks n other big woods as a kid. Guess I've gotten used to having em. I carry two, one a military one the other a cheaper silva. Never to navigate to birds, to navigate home

mudhen

iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

g8rvet

Quotelook for moss as well to help guide me.
are you for real?  You say some pretty wild stuff and think you are just looking to get people to react.  Maybe in your world moss only grows on one side, but not where I live, nor anywhere I have hunted.  That is something wickerbills say. 

So you don't need decoys, compass, blinds.  What else is outlawed as not macho in your world?  Toilet paper?  Thermacell?  Bug spray? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TrackeySauresRex

I usually use bread crumbs  :funnyturkey:
On a serious note.. Yes on a compass and also use a GPS go to.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Ihuntoldschool

Of course it is real.   I don't rely on "devices", "gadgets" or modern technology much.   They can fail or you may lose them or whatever so I don't bother with them gain not wanting to get reliant upon something that may not be there when you need it most.

BTW- Moss does grow on both sides of trees but most people know which side it grows thicker on.  You don't have to believe it is a fact.

Ihuntoldschool

Never said anything about macho.   You obviously have an inferiority complex; good luck with that.  To satisfy your burning curiosity, I do not carry a thermacell or bug spray or toilet paper while turkey hunting.   I am a minimalist when it comes to gear. 

People got lost way before compasses and found their way out using nature's signs.  Works as well now as it did then. 

Greg Massey

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 06, 2016, 01:51:10 PM
Never said anything about macho.   You obviously have an inferiority complex; good luck with that.  To satisfy your burning curiosity, I do not carry a thermacell or bug spray or toilet paper while turkey hunting.   I am a minimalist when it comes to gear. 

People got lost way before compasses and found their way out using nature's signs.  Works as well now as it did then.
Your just old school all the way. Do you wear camo or clothing or do you just walk thru the woods naked and afraid.  Just LMBO....

Farmboy27

Quote from: Terry on May 05, 2016, 10:38:25 PM
Even if a guy knew nothing about using a compass, it's pretty easy to just come out the opposite way you went in. All you have to do is hit the road and your safe. Learning how to get back directly to your truck is nice, but not necessary. Not knowing how to use a compass is a poor excuse to not carry at least one IMHO.

Lol!  Wasn't trying to make an excuse. Just saying that I have no need. I rarely walk a straight line from my truck. If I don't know how to use one then why carry one. It's like saying not knowing how to use a mouth call is a poor excuse not to carry one!  If you don't know how to use it then neither will help you and if you try to use it without a clue it could hurt you!  I'm not saying it's not a good skill to have or a necessity for some but for me it would be extra baggage.

SteelerFan

A compass is great on getting a line on a bird... that way, you can crawl with your head down and hidden behind the fan.  ;D

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 06, 2016, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: Terry on May 05, 2016, 10:38:25 PM
Even if a guy knew nothing about using a compass, it's pretty easy to just come out the opposite way you went in. All you have to do is hit the road and your safe. Learning how to get back directly to your truck is nice, but not necessary. Not knowing how to use a compass is a poor excuse to not carry at least one IMHO.

Lol!  Wasn't trying to make an excuse. Just saying that I have no need. I rarely walk a straight line from my truck. If I don't know how to use one then why carry one. It's like saying not knowing how to use a mouth call is a poor excuse not to carry one!  If you don't know how to use it then neither will help you and if you try to use it without a clue it could hurt you!  I'm not saying it's not a good skill to have or a necessity for some but for me it would be extra baggage.
I wasn't directing that towards you or anyone else, just a general statement. Sorry if you took it that way. But honestly all that one needs to know to make a compass useful, is what end of the needle points north.

Farmboy27

My truck isn't always north of me! Lol