turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Compass?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, May 05, 2016, 11:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Does anyone here carry a compass while turkey hunting? Just for general navigation, setting a line on a gobbling bird to move to him or keep track of him while moving around him, etc. If so, what brands do you recommend? Thanks
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

I use the one on my iphone a lot and carry one of those extra charging sticks in my pack. Those charging sticks are great and will recharge you phone several times. I should of said i do have one of the old school compass in my pack if the iphone fails. A compass is just important as a first aid kit, knife, bottle water, couple snack bar's or peanut butter crackers and your gun, shells and calls etc..don't forget paper also..

Bill Cooksey

Always carry one, and I use it every day for every reason you mentioned. It's helped me kill more birds (even on property I know very well), and it's helped me get in and out of some places I didn't know at all.

Did have one go haywire one day in a huge expanse of woods I'd never been in before. It was a cloudy day, and when I realized it was taking me in circles, I started lining up trees and walking to them to at least go in a straight line. I knew no matter which direction I went (as long as it was straight) I'd come out somewhere I could get my bearings. I was parked in the SW corner of the woods, and there was a highway on the eastern side. Once I got where I could hear the hum of traffic, I was able to turn and use the same method to get back to my truck. I've gotten temporarily turned around while duck hunting in big flooded woods, but that's the only time I've ever been "lost" in dry woods. Never was worried because I knew I'd get out, but it sucked having to walk almost four extra miles.

silvestris

Never go without a map and a real compass.  Technology can fail.  I have been carrying a Brunton for over 20 years.  The distance markings are worn off as well as the distance markings.
And the model number.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

TRG3

For turkey hunting, no; however, I started carrying a compass years ago when I lived in Southeast Alaska and had walked over three hours in the woods with another hunter. When we got ready to return, neither of us agreed on the direction and had to wait until an airplane came over that headed toward the village in which we both lived in order to get our bearings. Fast forward 50 years later, I now live in Illinois, and I especially have one during deer season since tracking a hit deer after dark can become confusing, even in areas in which you are familiar.

crow

I carry a couple of "Silva" compasses with me

there is a place in western Md. I hunt where I have had the haywire experience happen regularly in this one area, not sure if there is iron ore in the ground or what, the second compass does the same in this place

Have used the Silva's from Tn to Maine and never a problem anywhere else

J-Shaped

Yes, for all of the reasons mentioned. I carry a flat Silva one that I can lay over a map if needed. Never have to worry about a battery going dead either.

tha bugman

Yes sir!  Batteries die. That ever pointing needle never does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilbucksndux

I have one in my duck bag,deer pack and turkey vest. We had a couple of big storms several years ago and in the dark you can get turned around pretty quick. I have only needed one once(when I didnt have one) and bought 3 the next day.
Gary Bartlow

troutfisher13111

I carry 3 and prefer Suunto. Never know when your going to need one, and I sometimes hunt large tracts of land.

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

I carry one in my vest at all times. If I switch out to my lightweight vest, the compass goes in it as well. Hardly every use it, but if I need it, I will really need it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spitten and drummen

I still have the one I used in the military from 1990. I carry it with me and on a couple occasions used it to shoot a azimuth on a gobbling bird.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

StruttinGobbler3

Thanks for all the feedback. How do you normally use your compass while hunting? For instance, if you want to circle around a bird, how would you use it then? I'm fairly new to compass reading
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

gergg

Quote from: TRG3 on May 05, 2016, 12:07:07 PM
For turkey hunting, no; however, I started carrying a compass years ago when I lived in Southeast Alaska and had walked over three hours in the woods with another hunter. When we got ready to return, neither of us agreed on the direction and had to wait until an airplane came over that headed toward the village in which we both lived in order to get our bearings. Fast forward 50 years later, I now live in Illinois, and I especially have one during deer season since tracking a hit deer after dark can become confusing, even in areas in which you are familiar.

When I was in college a friend and I were in some big woods at dusk getting ready to head back to the truck, neither of us were familiar with the area so I slipped a compass in my pocket before departing. He decided we needed to go one direction(opposite of the compass reading) I said well have fun I am following the compass, he decided to follow as well and we made it back 2 hours after dark but landed right back at the truck. Had we trusted our gut, we might still be walking, I always carry a compass now...lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls