OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who was your mentor?

Started by Happy, May 04, 2016, 08:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Well it looks like I got my wish.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

Way to go brother!  He would be proud!~
Quote from: Happy on May 06, 2016, 09:03:21 AM
Well it looks like I got my wish.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Happy

supremepredator

My good buddy Mark, he's on this forum somewhere.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

stinkpickle

No mentor here.  It's pretty much been me, myself, and my own mistakes.

turkeyfeathers

My mentor would be my brother. He's got 91 or 92 notches in the stock of his H & R 10 bore . He bought me a Lynch's 101 fool proof box call 35 years ago that I still carry. His mentor whom he hunted with is the late Doc Pellham. That man knew his stuff.

jtoliver43

I tried turkey hunting on my own when I was in high school. Couldn't do anything right, so I just decided that turkey hunting sucked! Too hot,  too many bugs, snakes, poison ivy etc. So I stuck to deer and ducks. Fast forward to 21 years old... my girlfriend at the time's dad was a game warden. He was the "Turkey whisperer" and was quite the successful turkey hunter. So I asked him to show me the way. Fast forward to today and him and I still chase these wonderful birds together every year (even though his daughter and I didn't work out). Its been an obsession ever since!
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

Happy

Thanks for the replies fellas. Glad to see that there are people willing to help up and comers out some. I think that goes a long way in helping to preserve hunting and fishing.

drenalinld

Ericbrooks

My dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampchickin234

Come from a long line of but hunters.  When there were quail, dad, grandpa and all the uncles hunted them, and we all take ducks seriously.  Probably to serious. Started when I was 4 yrs old with them with a red Ryder BB gun.  The next year dad let me take my new pellet gun and pretend I was shootin ducks with em. He would grab my waders by the should straps when we would walk in water, or just pick me up if we weren't in a boat.  The next year, age 6 I got to tote a cut off 410 shootin doves.  Dad told me if I would practice being still, he would take me turkey huntin with em. Guess I heard my first gobble when I was 7 and I don't think I've forgotten that. Killed my first when I was 11 with him on (at one time) beautiful piece of hardwood river bottom.  He was hot, and since then, it just eats at me. I love it. The good Lord blessed me beyond belief with a family and a father who took the time and productivity of his hunting to take me with him. Luckily, I still have my dad and I again got to spend opening morning of the season with him and several other hunts.  He was mentor. My grandpa was also a huge part of my life, and 2 of my uncles and older brother.  Were all ate up with it.  So I guess I would say I ha several mentors.  And I am thankful for all of them

Swampchickin234

And that's what happens with auto correct from tapa talk.  Duck*.  Not but.   Lol.  Lol lol.   

Jroddc

Bowguy and Jimmy Schaffer

Tail Feathers

I started out completely on my own.  After two or three seasons hunting my home property, I went on a turkey hunt in another part of the state. Up to that point, I only knew one guy who turkey hunted, and we had never talked turkey.  But I met a couple of true turkey addicts on a Central Texas Rio hunt and we've traveled somewhere together every year since, even getting our slams together.
So after a self-taught start, over the years I've learned a lot from our own firedup on this board here and our buddy Joe.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!