turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who was your mentor?

Started by Happy, May 04, 2016, 08:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

An earlier conversation had me thinking about this while I mowed this evening. I can't really say a had an actual mentor but two gentlemen did take some time to help keep a fire that was already burning lit. The first fellow was named Richard. I met him when I was probably 6 or so. I was fascinated by turkey hunting which was weird since no one in my family is into it. He would answer all my questions at church and tell me some tales. For my birthday he bought me a quaker boy boss hen mouth call and I would  practice along side of him. He was big into competition calling and that was back in the day that Ray Eye was the man as far as turkey hunting went. Rich lost the maryland state championship by one point. Finally he took me on a hunt one morning before school. I don't think I slept at all the night before. I was certain I was gonna finally kill a bird. We went that morn and never heard a bird. Still I continued to keep in touch with him and when I was in my teens he gave me about 4 sets of his hunting clothes that he had gotten a little to thick to wear anymore. I have given some away but I still have one set.   Have never worn them hunting until this year but I have decided that this year is the year I get some blood on them again. They have had about a twenty year vacation. So tomorrow that's what I will be wearing.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

C.Kimzey95

Neat. Can't really say that I have one either. My dads not into it so i kinda started on my own and learned along with another couple buddies that had just started turkey hunting as well. That and a man named Jeff who got me into duck hunting has helped out a lot. Always told me stories and given me advice on it. The rest has been through reading videos and self observations. I hope to be able to pass it along some day.

JK Spurs

My uncle introduced me to the sport. I never hunted turkey and he had already killed one that season but there was a gobbler hammering everyday close to our house. He asked me if I wanted to kill a turkey...I thought, heck why not. Long story short, we went in that morning, he called a big old Tom a few jakes and some hens right into our laps. I had no idea what I was doing and killed the Jake by mistake! Very last day of season and my first turkey hunt....instantly hooked! Funny thing was he was watching the Tom and I was watching the Jake. When he told me to shoot, I did and dropped it but he thought I missed and said keep shooting....well I killed that Jake on the first shot but shot it 2 more times because he said keep shooting!
I like my turkey well peppered

silvestris

Glen Ray Whetstone of Woodville, Mississippi and Ken Morgan of Jackson, Louisiana.  Quite an education.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

SteelerFan

My father was my mentor for all things outdoors early on. Started my turkey "career" in the late 70's hunting fall turkey in WV. Missed my 1st attempt at a bird on a beautiful fall day in Sleepy Creek WMA. Killed several fall birds the following years... For reasons unknown, my father was never into spring gobbler hunting?

He passed away early in '85 when I was in college. By then, I had discovered the addiction of birds gobbling in the spring! Skipped class on more occasions than I care to admit, killing a bird for myself and taking as many of my buddies as possible to get them a bird - most all of which hunted, but not spring gobblers.

It's a habit I haven't been able (or tried, really) to quit! Regrettably, I never did get the chance to share a spring hunt with my father; although I feel certain he has shared many with me.  :icon_thumright:

p.s. JK Spurs - LOL!!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Greg Massey

My friend Gerald Lovell, taught me everything about turkey hunting. He made my first gourd call with a cedar corn cob striker. He taught me the different sounds of a turkey and how to hunt and enjoy the sport of chasing these birds.

J-Shaped

In all seriousness, the bird himself. We didn't have birds where I grew up deer hunting at the time, though nearly 30 years later they're plentiful in those same areas. I was limited to public areas I'd never been to or invites from folks who had birds. I did get to spend the better part of one season with a friend who was a few years older and had access to an area a couple of hours away with a decent popolation of birds, but that was as close of a mentor in the traditional sense as I had. I killed my first one all by myself, and though I was hooked well before that, that first one I called to the gun and killed sealed the deal forever.

On the flip side, while my Dad was my mentor for deer and everything else I grew up hunting, he didn't start turkey hunting until he was in his early 50's and I've gotten to be his mentor. I'll have to say my best hunts have been with him and I've enjoyed watching him turn into a turkey killer in his own right.

Good stuff

codym

Honestly all the people on this forum. I read something here then try it out. I hunt mostly by myself and learn alot through trial and error. I'm up to about 10 gobblers and I'm getting better each time (I think). Ive learned alot about turkey guns, patterns, loads, calls, and setups from all of you. Thanks, please keep posting and I will keep learning.

Gooserbat

Had to be my Dad.  Funny thing is to this day he's never called in a bird for me but I've called several for him.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvmntnhick

We'll, going to sound strange but, Happy has essentially been my mentor. It feels weird to even say that. My first bird I'd killed with a college pal. I'd shot a bird or two with my grandfather. Neither of which did I learn much at all. The remainder of my spring hunting experience was pretty much with Happy himself. It's been a long road to recovery but I think I'll manage. He's called several birds for me over the years. In the recent years, we've changed gears a bit and started going separate ways instead of me just tagging along with him all morning. I feel as if I've got a good enough handle on things to take care of myself. I mean, I've managed to call in over 20 birds in the past 2-3 years. This year has been the roughest by far while going at it alone but still, I think I've done well with the education given. My father didn't hunt spring birds. Still doesn't really. I didn't start until '99 really so I've only been at it for 17 years. Happy' sheen there for about 13-14 of them. Just makes sense to me.

tomstopper

I would have to say the Gobbler himself. I didn't have anyone to teach me so I got some calls, watched hunting shows to learn how to make Turkey sounds, and then just went to the woods. Took me awhile to figure it out but I would like to think that I have it figured out somewhat now....

Happy

As flattered as I am hick. If I am your mentor then you are screwed. Guess you at least have seen a lot of what not to do tho. Ha ha!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

trkehunr93

My brother-in-laws oldest brother is the one who introduced me to this addiction in 1993, 23 years later I'm still at it.  He taught me ALOT about woodsmanship, even would quiz me while squirrel or turkey hunting about what kinda tree is this or what kinda acorn is this?  Is that turkey scratchings or did deer do this?  Stuff like that.  He started hunting them in the early 70's here in VA when no one else was really doing it and had an older gentleman that taught him alot so he paid it forward with me.  I learned alot on my own thru trial and error but he laid the ground work that has made me into the hunter I am today.  He doesn't get out as much as he used to due to his health (life long smoker) but I can remember the days when I was 19-20 years old and he would out climb me going up and down steep ridges all with a cigarette hangin out of his mouth.  Definitely cherish the hunt we shared over the years, especially the ones where I helped call in a bird for him.

Kywoodsman

I didn't really have anybody that actually went with me and helped me get started. My Dad doesn't hunt so I bought a few calls, practiced with them and got permission to hunt some land close by. I then preceded to get my butt handed to me by the turkeys for the next 4 years. Finally after a lot of trial and error and making dumb mistakes I killed my first turkey and I was hooked from there. It definantly helped me a lot about 5 years ago when I got on this site. I was able to learn so much through this site. A lot of more experienced hunters were nice enough to answer a ton of my novice questions on here and helped to point me in the right direction.