turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

John Sinclair Yellowheart slate give-a-away seals the deal NH youth weekend

Started by nosaj, May 04, 2016, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosaj

I took my daughter out on the second day of New Hampshire youth weekend.  We were set up in a tent blind in the corner of a field 10 yards from an opening in the stone wall/woodrow that leads to a second field.  After a couple hours watching and calling every 10-15 min.  A tom sounded off 100 yds away on a ridge above the second field after some yelping on a mouth call...all right the game is on.  Earlier in the morning I had a alarm clock catastrophe which had us hurrying out of the house and making it to the blind not long before legal shooting with out a decoy.  No decoy no big deal I told her.  After he sounded off I waited until he sounded off again then switched over to the sweet talking John Sinclair Yellowheart Slate that I won a couple give a ways ago.  With a few relaxed yelps, clucks and purrs I got him into the second field right behind the tent strutting around within 10 yards of the back of the blind on the other side of the wall/woodrow.  I only keep the front window of the blind open so we do not get silhouetted from behind so we could not open a back window with out sending him packing.  While he was behind the blind I didn't do any calling just let him sound off and hope that he would tire of not getting the hen coming.   After 10 min. of this I could not stand it anymore and started some soft  purring and whining and that did it, he strutted through the opening in the wall and we let him get out to about 15 yds before I gave a couple clucks and he stuck out his neck and came out of strut.  Unfortunately when my daughter brought up her gun she hit the tent and panicked shooting over the bird twice.  The picture is of the South bound end of the North bound   bird just after it passed through the opening in the wall where I have a camera just before she shot.  I was hoping that we would get a photo of him flying back out after the shots but he was too high to trip the camera.  The good news was it was a clean miss with out dropping a feather and my daughter still had a good time being that close for so long to a Tom carrying on spitting/drumming and gobbling.  John, OG thanks again for the call it is a sweet talker that sounds like pure turkey to a turkey in close and personal. 

SteelerFan

HFultzjr

Great story!
These memories will last a lifetime for both you and her.
I would like to wish you many more times as good as this, (and better).

Ishi

They are wonderful calls and they work wonders on turkeys. Plus they are very easy on the eyes :drool:
The Spirit Lives On

mgm1955

nosaj

Quote from: Ishi on May 05, 2016, 07:27:18 PM
They are wonderful calls and they work wonders on turkeys. Plus they are very easy on the eyes :drool:

They are sweet.  I was using this one in tight however it can call medium and far as well.

I will be taking the kids out for another chance this weekend.