OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

78 yr old Montana man takes 1st turkey in Maryland

Started by jbmabrey, May 04, 2016, 02:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbmabrey

My son in laws father-John K. from Montana took this Maryland turkey on the eastern shore near Marydel. 19 lbs, 11" beard-7/8" spurs.
This is John's 1st turkey.
The mature bird gobbled at every call I made (over 50 gobbles from start to finish) and came in with a hen around 60 yards. After I coaxed him closer, John sealed the deal  at 42 yards. 

I used Larry Gressers Prairie Game calls.  I started with the Prairie Tree Caller at dawn and then switched to his 3.25" Tiger Glass call with a double sound board-http://www.prairiecalls.com/home

Bowguy

silvestris

Good for him.  I hope I am still here in ten years.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MDSTRUTNRUT

Never too late to start, congrats!    Hope I'm still chasin at 78!

cramerhunts

That's pretty cool. Congratulations to you both on getting his first.

mgm1955

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

SteelerFan

Dr Juice

SinGin

tomstopper

knifeshark

TRG3

I'll have to admit that from the title of the post I first assumed that the 78 year old had some form of dementia and had wondered out of his house in Montana looking for a place to turkey hunt. When he hit the Atlantic coast that was as far as he could go, figured that this must be the place, and it just happened to be Maryland. Glad my first impression didn't pan out. Good job on baggin' that tom!