OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fanning

Started by Kywoodsman, May 03, 2016, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Quote from: silvestris on May 07, 2016, 09:48:31 PM
Climate change?

I don't know how effective reaping is. I do know one thing from the videos I have suffered through, it is rather silly, and when it comes to turkey hunting, there is one thing I do not want to be, and that is fist pumping silly.

Watch some snow goose "stalks" with cow decoys.  The reapers have a rival for silly.  Lots of fist pumping there too. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

stinkpickle

All in all, if fanning, decoying, or whatever is so great at killing birds, states will need to adjust their tag limits to accommodate it.  That said, I believe habit destruction, predators, and rainy hatch seasons have a MUCH BIGGER impact on populations than hunter success.

WNCTracker

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 07, 2016, 05:21:45 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 07, 2016, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: HogBiologist on May 07, 2016, 02:56:02 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 07, 2016, 12:33:23 PM
Quote from: HogBiologist on May 07, 2016, 10:25:15 AM
The on thing I am noticing in this whole conversation is that no one has any data to back up and validate their OPINION. No one can give a number of hunters who actually fan/reap, or their success ratios. Anyone who tries to base success ratios off hunting videos would be laughed out of town by anyone with any scientific knowledge. Everybody has an opinion on what the cause of something is. But no one has any proof, that the cause they claim, if causing the effect. Look at the crossbow argument. Can any of you prove that it has added to the decline in deer numbers?  Because it has not. People scream that it will ruin the sport, but is has not.
Again I say; people need to learn the difference between opinion and fact.

Go to your local spot, find a bird in a field and reap him.  Then repeat.  Then repeat.  You'll have 3 dead turkeys.

You people want studies from accredited institutions when all you need to do is talk to someone in SE Kansas or parts of Nebraska where  the practice is most heavily utilized. 

If you want empirical data instead of accusing us of using anecdotal references, go reap some damn turkeys; in fact, book a ticket to Nebraska and buy 3 tags. Don't take a call. If you have any skill at crawling and any hand eye coordination, you'll see the results for yourself.

"You People" lol. I will trust the opinion of someone with supporting data any day over someone who says "I see it all the time". Just think where we would be if we took the "because I saw it" attitude. We would have a Sasquatch or Nessie season and people complaining they couldn't find one so the biologists don't know nothing.

Agencies can't make scientific decisions on "because my brothers-sisters-cousins-friends-barber said so.
Don't argue with va Turk whatever. He has seen it all and knows it all. He kills 99 percent of the birds he calls to and has proof that for every bird that is shot fanning, 2 others die from shame!  If you don't believe me about how amazingly great he is, just ask him.

Only 1/3 this week, hot shot. Farmer closed a gate that hasn't been closed for years and it saved that bird's life yesterday morning. 

The problem isn't the closed gate, the problem is you. Not being aware of the the terrain is what saved that birds life, not some gate......Sound familiar?  LOL

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: johnplesh on May 08, 2016, 12:35:28 AM
The on thing I am noticing in this whole conversation is that no one has any data to back up and validate their OPINION. No one can give a number of hunters who actually fan/reap, or their success ratios. Anyone who tries to base success ratios off hunting videos would be laughed out of town by anyone with any scientific knowledge. Everybody has an opinion on what the cause of something is. But no one has any proof, that the cause they claim, if causing the effect. Look at the crossbow argument. Can any of you prove that it has added to the decline in deer numbers?  Because it has not. People scream that it will ruin the sport, but is has not.

Go to your local spot, find a bird in a field and reap him.  Then repeat.  Then repeat.  You'll have 3 dead turkeys.

You people want studies from accredited institutions when all you need to do is talk to someone in SE Kansas or parts of Nebraska where  the practice is most heavily utilized. 

If you want empirical data instead of accusing us of using anecdotal references, go reap some damn turkeys; in fact, book a ticket to Nebraska and buy 3 tags. Don't take a call. If you have any skill at crawling and any hand eye coordination, you'll see the results for yourself.

"You People" lol. I will trust the opinion of someone with supporting data any day over someone who says "I see it all the time". Just think where we would be if we took the "because I saw it" attitude. We would have a Sasquatch or Nessie season and people complaining they couldn't find one so the biologists don't know nothing.

Agencies can't make scientific decisions on "because my brothers-sisters-cousins-friends-barber said so.
Don't argue with va Turk whatever. He has seen it all and knows it all. He kills 99 percent of the birds he calls to and has proof that for every bird that is shot fanning, 2 others die from shame!  If you don't believe me about how amazingly great he is, just ask him.

Only 1/3 this week, hot shot. Farmer closed a gate that hasn't been closed for years and it saved that bird's life yesterday morning. 

The problem isn't the closed gate, the problem is you. Not being aware of the the terrain is what saved that birds life, not some gate......Sound familiar?  LOL

Lol, the gate was closed at some point between Tuesday morning and Friday.  Would've been hard to know that but technically you're right.

WNCTracker

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 08, 2016, 04:32:09 AM

Quote from: johnplesh on May 08, 2016, 12:35:28 AM

Lol, the gate was closed at some point between Tuesday morning and Friday.  Would've been hard to know that but technically you're right.
Haha better luck next time

g8rvet

As a master woodsman and turkey killer with a 74.37% effective rate, I know that status of all gates prior to stepping foot on any property I hunt, every time. It is the difference between me and the typical "hunter" that is not willing to put in the effort to be a master woodsman like me.  09.4% of the time, I can tell you if a new branch has fallen from a tree, before I have even seen it.  I could explain it to you guys, but without the vast amount of effort I put in, you would not understand.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

owlhoot

Quote from: g8rvet on May 08, 2016, 08:58:07 AM
As a master woodsman and turkey killer with a 74.37% effective rate, I know that status of all gates prior to stepping foot on any property I hunt, every time. It is the difference between me and the typical "hunter" that is not willing to put in the effort to be a master woodsman like me.  09.4% of the time, I can tell you if a new branch has fallen from a tree, before I have even seen it.  I could explain it to you guys, but without the vast amount of effort I put in, you would not understand.
what is this about the gates, keep the tame penned up turkeys penned . They are not good mixed with the wild ones.

TrackeySauresRex

This is my fan. There are no others like it. I love my fan.

And it helps keep the skeeters away!
:goofball:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

husker

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 06, 2016, 11:17:54 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 06, 2016, 07:21:28 PM
I wasn't gonna post on this topic again but what the heck. Everyone out there who considers fanning unethical because it's so highly effective is basing their opinion off videos and story's. A successful story or video sells much better than an unsuccessful one. I just saw a turkey video for sale the other day that said on the cover "22 successful hunts caught on film". How well do you think a video would sell if it said "22 unsuccessful hunts caught on film"?  And if I didn't know any better I'd watch any turkey hunting video or show out there and say "wow, calling to a turkey is a sure way to kill him. These guys do it every time!!"  Another thing to remember to all the ethical police out there is that we are hunting these birds during their most vulnerable time. Archibald Rutledge said in his writings that to kill a gobbler in breeding season is nothing. He considered it unethical to use the turkeys sexual weakness to call him in. Also, think what the internet has done to compound all this. It's the reason we are all discussing this. If fanning became popular in the pre-internet days, most people would have never cared. Think about if the internet was around when compound bows first started being used. Or portable climbing stands. After all, Saxton Pope and Art Young both thought it to be unethical to ambush an animal from a tree. People's ideas change with time and with them so do ethics. They always have. The differance is that today these changes are broadcast instantly, and those who oppose them can post there objections on the web instead of just doing their own thing and letting others do theirs.

Nope. My opinion is based on personal experience. I've seen a couple of hundred turkeys die in front of me. First time I fanned one was exciting. Second time, it just didn't feel right. Third time, I didn't pull the trigger. I pulled out the fan a few more times on bad birds just to see. It's simply too damn easy. I'm not advocating a nationwide ban, but I won't congratulate someone for killing a bird that way. Shootimg a bird of the limb is more challenging.

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.  I tried using a Turkey Fan once and when I showed it to the birds, they turned and went the other direction.   Haven't tried it since. 

SteelerFan

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on May 08, 2016, 09:59:44 AM
This is my fan. There are no others like it. I love my fan.

And it helps keep the skeeters away!
:goofball:

I bet you use one those "fancy" new-fangled magnum extension cords too. That's where I draw the ethical line...  :TooFunny:

stinkpickle

I guess this type of Fanning is popular in both the Dakotas AND Hollywood.  She's a very nice person.  Why would anyone want to outlaw her?...

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 07, 2016, 10:53:15 PM
All in all, if fanning, decoying, or whatever is so great at killing birds, states will need to adjust their tag limits to accommodate it.  That said, I believe habit destruction, predators, and rainy hatch seasons have a MUCH BIGGER impact on populations than hunter success.
I agree, the best thing one can do is predator hunt and trap.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 08, 2016, 10:29:50 AM
Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on May 08, 2016, 09:59:44 AM
This is my fan. There are no others like it. I love my fan

I bet you use one those "fancy" new-fangled magnum extension cords too. That's where I draw the ethical line...  :TooFunny:

:TooFunny:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Greg Massey

I think all of you have got fanning on the brain...lol..funny

g8rvet

Bunch of new age hunters.  My family was using these during the Xia Dynasty - 21st BC.  Now that is tradition!