OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fanning

Started by Kywoodsman, May 03, 2016, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

Turkey hunting is very unsafe you all should stay home so i can  ...  :z-guntootsmiley:

GobbleNut

Quote from: Bowguy on May 04, 2016, 06:17:42 PM

Bud I personally think it's unsafe but it's your life do what you wish but you're saying no accidents occurred as of fanning?
You may possibly be correct I've personally heard of none, but remember its a recent phenomenon. Many states outlaw it, some guys just won't do it so the percentages if just one guy got hurt would prob be higher incident rate among fanners than the percentage of accidents among non fanners. 
Do what you wish though. Good luck

???  What state's have outlawed "fanning"? 

Bowguy

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 06, 2016, 11:51:15 AM

Bud I personally think it's unsafe but it's your life do what you wish but you're saying no accidents occurred as of fanning?
You may possibly be correct I've personally heard of none, but remember its a recent phenomenon. Many states outlaw it, some guys just won't do it so the percentages if just one guy got hurt would prob be higher incident rate among fanners than the percentage of accidents among non fanners. 

Any state that doesn't allow you to stalk birds. I live in NJ n the law states clearly bird cannot be stalked.

WNCTracker

I'm a pretty big guy so I prefer a peacock fan.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Bowguy on May 06, 2016, 12:06:49 PM

Any state that doesn't allow you to stalk birds. I live in NJ n the law states clearly bird cannot be stalked.

Not that I am trying to either defend or condemn fanning, but the use of a fan and stalking are not synonymous.  A hunter is perfectly capable of using a fan in his hunting strategy without ever trying to approach a turkey with it.  It would be interesting to see how those states define fanning in their regulations. 

If a hunter could not "stalk" a turkey with a fan, does that mean the hunter that uses a decoy and carries it out to set it in a field could be charged with stalking because he is carrying a decoy while moving?  An extreme example, I know, but defining "fanning" and "stalking" in the same light is a very slippery slope.

Now "reaping", on the other hand,...the active use of a decoy or fan to approach a turkey,....might be something that could be prosecuted if a conservation officer actually witnessed somebody doing it.  How often, however, is that going to happen?

spaightlabs

HogBiologist

I think people need to learn the difference between ethics and opinions.

Simple Definition of ethics
: rules of behavior based on ideas about what is morally good and bad

Simple Definition of opinion
: a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something
: what someone thinks about a particular thing
Certified Wildlife Biologist

SteelerFan

Bowguy

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 06, 2016, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on May 06, 2016, 12:06:49 PM

Not that I am trying to either defend or condemn fanning, but the use of a fan and stalking are not synonymous.  A hunter is perfectly capable of using a fan in his hunting strategy without ever trying to approach a turkey with it.  It would be interesting to see how those states define fanning in their regulations. 

If a hunter could not "stalk" a turkey with a fan, does that mean the hunter that uses a decoy and carries it out to set it in a field could be charged with stalking because he is carrying a decoy while moving?  An extreme example, I know, but defining "fanning" and "stalking" in the same light is a very slippery slope.

Now "reaping", on the other hand,...the active use of a decoy or fan to approach a turkey,....might be something that could be prosecuted if a conservation officer actually witnessed somebody doing it.  How often, however, is that going to happen?
I'll only use NJ since that's where I'm from. Yes if you stayed in one spot you prob wouldn't be illegal. The COs may or may not have a case though since in NJ you're supposed to call em, there's even a law that you must have a call on you n I think it's worded from a stationary position or something. You bring up some good points though.
Waking up to set dekes though isn't one I agree is stalking. You're not attempting to get up on the bird but use your dekes to draw em in. Like I said stationary you may be right

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bowguy on May 06, 2016, 06:57:29 PM
I'll only use NJ since that's where I'm from. Yes if you stayed in one spot you prob wouldn't be illegal. The COs may or may not have a case though since in NJ you're supposed to call em, there's even a law that you must have a call on you n I think it's worded from a stationary position or something. You bring up some good points though.
Waking up to set dekes though isn't one I agree is stalking. You're not attempting to get up on the bird but use your dekes to draw em in. Like I said stationary you may be right

For the purpose of discussion, I agree with Bowguy. Walking out and setting decoys vs. crawling (stalking) towards a bird are two different venues. Sitting in one spot and waving a fan would not be "stalking". More like flagging a goose...

I'm not a fan of fanning. Then again, I wouldn't set up so close in the dark so I could shoot 'em when he hits the ground either. But that's just me...

Farmboy27

I wasn't gonna post on this topic again but what the heck. Everyone out there who considers fanning unethical because it's so highly effective is basing their opinion off videos and story's. A successful story or video sells much better than an unsuccessful one. I just saw a turkey video for sale the other day that said on the cover "22 successful hunts caught on film". How well do you think a video would sell if it said "22 unsuccessful hunts caught on film"?  And if I didn't know any better I'd watch any turkey hunting video or show out there and say "wow, calling to a turkey is a sure way to kill him. These guys do it every time!!"  Another thing to remember to all the ethical police out there is that we are hunting these birds during their most vulnerable time. Archibald Rutledge said in his writings that to kill a gobbler in breeding season is nothing. He considered it unethical to use the turkeys sexual weakness to call him in. Also, think what the internet has done to compound all this. It's the reason we are all discussing this. If fanning became popular in the pre-internet days, most people would have never cared. Think about if the internet was around when compound bows first started being used. Or portable climbing stands. After all, Saxton Pope and Art Young both thought it to be unethical to ambush an animal from a tree. People's ideas change with time and with them so do ethics. They always have. The differance is that today these changes are broadcast instantly, and those who oppose them can post there objections on the web instead of just doing their own thing and letting others do theirs.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 06, 2016, 07:21:28 PM
I wasn't gonna post on this topic again but what the heck. Everyone out there who considers fanning unethical because it's so highly effective is basing their opinion off videos and story's. A successful story or video sells much better than an unsuccessful one. I just saw a turkey video for sale the other day that said on the cover "22 successful hunts caught on film". How well do you think a video would sell if it said "22 unsuccessful hunts caught on film"?  And if I didn't know any better I'd watch any turkey hunting video or show out there and say "wow, calling to a turkey is a sure way to kill him. These guys do it every time!!"  Another thing to remember to all the ethical police out there is that we are hunting these birds during their most vulnerable time. Archibald Rutledge said in his writings that to kill a gobbler in breeding season is nothing. He considered it unethical to use the turkeys sexual weakness to call him in. Also, think what the internet has done to compound all this. It's the reason we are all discussing this. If fanning became popular in the pre-internet days, most people would have never cared. Think about if the internet was around when compound bows first started being used. Or portable climbing stands. After all, Saxton Pope and Art Young both thought it to be unethical to ambush an animal from a tree. People's ideas change with time and with them so do ethics. They always have. The differance is that today these changes are broadcast instantly, and those who oppose them can post there objections on the web instead of just doing their own thing and letting others do theirs.

If I could find the "Like" button... I'd click it. :icon_thumright:

chatterbox

Greg Massey

I agree and disagree if it hadn't been for the invention of the automobile, we would still be walking or riding a horse. I still like driving my chevy silverado hunting and on those nice hot days having air conditioning..So yes things do change and i don't think a lot of people want to give up either way of hunting old school or new school,,,

g8rvet

WOW.  You da man.  Excellent post. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.