turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fanning

Started by Kywoodsman, May 03, 2016, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

i'll fan one any chance I get.  i have killed a couple behind a fan.  i got on one in a road bed Friday evening with another gobbler and some hens.  he came a little ways and stopped and strutted and then turned and walked off.  he wouldn't commit.  he knows the game apparently.  its not a 100% deal with a fan as some think. 
as for safety, i don't see it any different than sitting behind a decoy spread and calling.  i would likely not do this on public land or where others may be hunting

silvestris

Quote from: duxrus on May 04, 2016, 01:17:43 PM
How hard is it for people to just keep quiet and stop trying to change everyone and everything to fit their personal mold ?

It is hard, really hard.  It is like keeping quiet and not punishing your kids when you find out they have been cheating on a test.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

stinkpickle

Quote from: silvestris on May 04, 2016, 03:13:19 PM
How hard is it for people to just keep quiet and stop trying to change everyone and everything to fit their personal mold ?

...cheating on a test.

:TooFunny:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 04, 2016, 01:38:40 PM
Off the fan subject but arent limits set within deemed safe percentages of the population? Limits are set to encompass limits being potentially reached by everyone even though that would never occur. 

Not in the majority of cases. They are set to limit the take of the small percentage of those who regularly reach a limit, and, in the case of some species, limit the daily take when conditions come together where you could kill far more. This is done to keep the take by hunters compensatory rather than additive. If suddenly those who are normally less successful become more successful, the scale can slip to additive. At that point there are concerns about the sustainability of the resource.

For instance, if duck hunters actually killed a limit of ducks every day, ducks would be extinct in North America in less than thirty days. If turkey hunters in TN all killed a limit of male turkeys this season, there would be zero male turkeys left in the state. Same can be said of deer. Take a look at population estimates in a given state. Then, add the number of hunters and multiply by the number of animals which could be legally taken. The math doesn't work out.

Method of take is one of the few factors humans control in the scenario, but it is a very significant factor.
[/quote         Amen and i'm glad you know how to spell Safety...

duxrus

Would be more like making your kids go to a certain college and major in what daddy did or daddy will be pouty lipped.  This is exactly what is wrong with this country. People just have to get into other peoples business and try to force their ideals on them.

If you dont like using a fan or think it is dangerous then dont use one. I personally think riding a motorcycle is danderous. Guess what, I dont ride. The way some of you act I need to go around to everyone who has one and tell them they are wrong because of MY feelings.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

duxrus

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 03, 2016, 08:40:29 PM
I don't think you will get many positive feed backs about fanning. You may need to ask this on another forum. First off the safety factory is one thing .. so you may wants to reading others respond in this forum on fanning. Good Luck also.

The spelling police might want to work on proper grammar   :smiley-char092:

Greg Massey

Quote from: duxrus on May 04, 2016, 04:47:38 PM
I don't think you will get many positive feed backs about fanning. You may need to ask this on another forum. First off the safety factory is one thing .. so you may wants to reading others respond in this forum on fanning. Good Luck also.

The spelling police might want to work on proper grammar   :smiley-char092:
I love a man that's educated.

duxrus

Sorry but I couldnt resist.

We all need to get back To chasing birds and using tags :fud:

Greg Massey

Quote from: duxrus on May 04, 2016, 05:17:10 PM
Sorry but I couldnt resist.

We all need to get back To chasing birds and using tags :fud:
I still like you..i like all turkey hunters.

Bowguy

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 03, 2016, 10:40:52 PM
Yes OP it is for the same reasons some birds dont like decoys much.

As i have said many times for all you people who bring up saftey. You better just stop turkey hunting. I bet you walk and use calls huh. Guess what, people get shot every year doing both of those and yet you are fine with doing them yet no reports of a fanning shooting and everyone wants to cry about saftey! You try to fit the saftey issue to use it against fanning/reaping and yet ignore the facts about turkey hunting accidents.
Bud I personally think it's unsafe but it's your life do what you wish but you're saying no accidents occurred as of fanning?
You may possibly be correct I've personally heard of none, but remember its a recent phenomenon. Many states outlaw it, some guys just won't do it so the percentages if just one guy got hurt would prob be higher incident rate among fanners than the percentage of accidents among non fanners. 
Do what you wish though. Good luck

catman529

If a bird doesn't spook but eases off when you move, my guess is he's a subordinate tom that has taken a couple beatings by a boss tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kywoodsman

Thank you everybody for your replies. To everybody who gave me feedback on my question I appreciate it and to those of you who were against the idea of fanning, I respect your opinion and stance on the matter. I did not mean for this to turn in to an argument of any type and hope nobody got to worked up with one another. Thanks again.

Bill Cooksey

Nothing wrong with your question at all. Sportsmen should be able to discuss differing points of view.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 04, 2016, 09:17:59 PM
Nothing wrong with your question at all. Sportsmen should be able to discuss differing points of view.
x2