turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strike out

Started by 762hunter, May 03, 2016, 01:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

762hunter

Well since all we have been seeing is who has been able to connect I thought I'd share my 1st attempt at a Rio.
Out of state of course since here in Tn we only have Easterns.
Well this year has been by far different from last.  Last year I was able to kill 3 in Tn and 2 in Ms. 
So I decided this year I was going to try my hand out of state. Through much research and help from so of you on here I headed to Oklahoma to try my hand at a DIY Rio.

Had a great time. I had multiple opportunities at jakes but was not going to be satisfied so I passed. Seen several hens.
I came across armadillos, possums, coons, snakes, roadrunners, and more cows than I could count.  It was neat seeing the different terrain, the China Berry trees, Locust trees with some crazy thorns, and cacti galore.

I drove a little over 2,900 miles in the last 13 days, walked an unknown amount of miles, and hunted harder than I think I have ever.

Tagsoup, as I came home empty handed and feeling a little down and out over it.  Still I had a great time as it was my 1st solo trip away and definitely plan to try again when the funds allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Look at it this way you had the adventure of a lifetime, that us older hunter just dream about anymore. You were blessed in many ways with a safe trip and hunting for these wild turkeys..

RutnNStrutn

Tag soup always sucks, but at least you got away, saw a new state, hunted different birds and had a good time. Better luck on your next trip.

J-Shaped

You've got the right attitude and my guess is you'll be able to apply what you learned on this trip and use it to your advantage in the future. Sounds like you had a good time. Road trips are always fun.

tha bugman

Sounds like you had fun.  I don't care how many times I go to Texas, I am always a little sad when I leave because part of me doesn't want to.  Beautiful country

mgm1955

Still a great experience!!

762hunter

Yea it was a great experience.
No regrets in the attempt.
I had prayed only for a safe trip there and back with no issues. Got that
Plus by not shooting my first Rio, I saved myself a taxidermy bill

sasquatch1

Sorry to hear that man. There's always next time. I wish you would have messaged me while out there, I coulda pointed you to some spots I had luck, but, that don't make a kill a guarantee either so.

Pick up any sheds? When I went I came back with 5 or 6 nice ones.

762hunter

Nope never saw any sheds

Gooserbat

Public land western OK can be tough come late season.  Glad you had a good time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

762hunter

Just don't have any quit in me,  headed to Missouri now

This will make the 4th state to hunt this season (self funded)

ncturkeycaller

Sorry you struck out.  I have had great luck in Oklahoma both public and private but there are no guarantees in this sport we love. 

J-Shaped

Quote from: 762hunter on May 04, 2016, 09:53:38 PM

Good luck in Missouri. Make it happen.

tha bugman

Good luck brother!
Quote from: 762hunter on May 04, 2016, 09:53:38 PM

762hunter

Well I got my buddy on his 1st turkey ever this this AM. 
We got close yesterday but the bird was hung up by some tall grass.  Well today we were in the tall grass waiting