OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DRUMMING QUESTION!!!!

Started by Chilly, May 03, 2016, 09:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

The bad part is that every time I hear a truck start in the distance, I think it's a bird drumming, and it wakes me up from my beauty naps.

Chilly

Thanks for all of the comments fellas.  A lot of good information and stories!
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

catman529

Quote from: drenalinld on May 03, 2016, 02:40:36 PM
In my opinion drum part of the spit and drum is just a long drawn out version of the gobble. If one gobbles very close you can hear the chest drumming quickly. DRUM DRUM Drum Drum ..drum....drum.......drum
yes they do make that deep sound when you hear them gobble up close. I guess the drumming comes from their vocal chords or maybe the whole body is what produces the sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Aint it the truth though!?
Quote from: TerryLNanny on May 03, 2016, 09:48:34 PM
The spit comes from the wings the drum comes from the throut, the shi# comes from my a##  as I had one at 15 yrds. a week ago on my bad side. Didn't turn out good.

drenalinld

Quote from: catman529 on May 05, 2016, 07:34:56 AM

Quote from: drenalinld on May 03, 2016, 02:40:36 PM
In my opinion drum part of the spit and drum is just a long drawn out version of the gobble. If one gobbles very close you can hear the chest drumming quickly. DRUM DRUM Drum Drum ..drum....drum.......drum
yes they do make that deep sound when you hear them gobble up close. I guess the drumming comes from their vocal chords or maybe the whole body is what produces the sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they are slowly pushing air from crop through vocal chords or what ever their voice is just as you would try to imitate it.

THattaway

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 04, 2016, 04:31:51 PM
The bad part is that every time I hear a truck start in the distance, I think it's a bird drumming, and it wakes me up from my beauty naps.
Stink it ain't the trucks that give me pause now. It's the friggin river bottom wood peckers on a big hollow tree that are just far away enough so that they resemble a booming distant gobble. I seem to chase some of those these days till I get close enough to distinguish them clearly. I always hear drumming when they are on top of me so it's rarely mistaken, more often I'm just simply caught unprepared when I hear it.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Tomfoolery

I've heard several turkeys "spit n drum" when they go into a hard strut. But I've only heard 2 birds actually sounded like a beat on an old Indian drum. And actual tune and booooom bump bump bump. And they continued this the whole time they strutted until they came all the way in. And could actually hear it from a good distance away. That's when I was like thaaaats drumming. I've never been able to hear that sound on a video of turkeys either.

HogBiologist

Males also emit a low-pitched "drumming" sound; produced by the movement of air in the air sack in the chest, similar to the booming of a prairie chicken. In addition they produce a sound known as the "spit" which is a sharp expulsion of air from this air sack.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

TerryLNanny

I can hear the psssst but I've never heard the drum. Got turkey's in the back yard. Can hear fine, must be a frequency thang.v
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

stinkpickle

Quote from: THattaway on May 05, 2016, 10:22:30 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 04, 2016, 04:31:51 PM
Stink it ain't the trucks that give me pause now. It's the friggin river bottom wood peckers on a big hollow tree that are just far away enough so that they resemble a booming distant gobble. I seem to chase some of those these days till I get close enough to distinguish them clearly. I always hear drumming when they are on top of me so it's rarely mistaken, more often I'm just simply caught unprepared when I hear it.

LOL!  I had an encounter with one such woodpecker today. 

catman529

Does anyone else notice some turkeys drum loud and some hardly make any noise at all? For a while after I started hunting, I would only hear the spit. Then one day I heard one spit and drum, and then he showed up and put on a display before I shot him. Since then I have heard drumming in most toms, but a few still are silent except for the spit.

drenalinld

Yes some turkeys drum louder.

supremepredator

Quote from: SinGin on May 03, 2016, 10:24:10 AM
I'd like to knw also. I killed a bird a few years ago that was drumming but wasn't strutting, first time I had ever heard it. I heard it again this weekend. The bird would drum right at the end of his gobble but I never saw him to see if he was strutting or not. Maybe someone should make a drumming call. If they do I want 10%.
flextone make one, but its one big bulky lookin thing. I can drum good with just my natural voice and in my oppinion if you can hear him drumming he is probably in or close to gun range, so the only call I would make if I felt I had to would be leaf scratching and maybe some soft clucks and purrs
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

supremepredator

The first time I heard a bird drum, well actually I felt it. The Tom would gobble and the rocks behind me would vibrate. I would then hear this low frequency sound and the rocks again would vibrate. I thought at first it was an airplane shoaring overhead or a semi on the road, but then I was like "duh" he's drumming!
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

J.D. Shellnut

If you ever hear it one time and know for sure that's what it is. You'll hear it more often. To me its more of a sound you feel if that makes sense.
60% of the time it works every time!