OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DRUMMING QUESTION!!!!

Started by Chilly, May 03, 2016, 09:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler777

I retired after a long career as a wildlife biologist and have been hunting turkeys for 53 seasons now and have always been very intrigued by the spit and drumming of the gobblers. Drumming is a low frequency vocalization that comes from deep inside the gobbler's chest; not from any kind of feather rubbing. Humans, depending on how good their hearing is, can hear some of the drumming sound to about 75 yards; maybe a little further. Some believe turkeys can hear (and maybe feel) much more of the lower frequencies (infrasonic) of the drumming than humans can and at much further distances (200-300 yards). Elephants and some other mammals communicate at long distances (5 miles) using infrasonic frequencies. Google "infrasonic animal communication' and open your understanding to some very interesting info re. that topic. I haven't looked in the last year or so to see if any research has been done re. wild turkeys and infrasonic sound.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Happy

Back when I had my pet wild turkey as a kid I would hold him in my lap and he would drum. I think he was trying to hold on to his manly image. Anyways I could actually feel it. It comes from deep in the chest. The spit is from the head and sounds almost like popping the cap off a bottled carbonated beverage.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

THattaway

Got nothing but opinions on this but every tom I have ever killed that came in while drumming ALWAYS had a craw inflated with air. Those that I observed drumming were always either strutting or doing the mean walk, breast feathers expanded. Always heard and thought it was sound made from breast muscles and craw due to those experiences. I've tried making the spit drumming sound with my natural voice on occasion to attempt to draw in toms hung up out of range. Am sure they have heard it at times but have yet had it work for me. May have more to do with hens with him than voice ability but really can't say for sure. Didn't spook them with it at any rate. I have a decent vid showing a drumming tom and breeding footage that I shot after the season here a couple years ago. Shows the quiver shake and such as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHQpTgp2mA
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

born2hunt

I have never seen one drum that wasn't strutting either. I just figured it was part of it.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

WNCTracker

Quote from: Happy on May 03, 2016, 04:59:22 PM
Back when I had my pet wild turkey as a kid I would hold him in my lap and he would drum.
Like a boy with kitten :-)

Happy

Yeah kinda. He seemed to think it was rather undignified tho.  :)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tha bugman

The sound of my safety going off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryLNanny

The spit comes from the wings the drum comes from the throut, the shi# comes from my a##  as I had one at 15 yrds. a week ago on my bad side. Didn't turn out good.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

drenalinld

I believe a drumming gobbler is forcing air slowly out of his crop with his chest muscles to make the drumming sound. This is how I replicate it with my voice except it is my diaphragm pushing air out of my lungs. Push air out of the cop on a freshly killed turkey and you can get a Yelp or cluck. I figured this out by accident once and have repeated it many times.

drenalinld

I disagree about spit coming from wings. I have seen the fog come out of their beak when they do it. I believe it is a vocalization. Joe Slaton has said he can see spit com out of his pet gobbler's mouth when he does it.

WNCTracker

Quote from: drenalinld on May 03, 2016, 09:58:29 PM
I disagree about spit coming from wings. I have seen the fog come out of their beak when they do it. I believe it is a vocalization. Joe Slaton has said he can see spit com out of his pet gobbler's mouth when he does it.
This seems to address the discrepancy of wing vs vocal.
http://wildturkeyzone.com/articles/michels2a.htm

WiLL B

I have seen many gobblers drum without strutting. A couple this year. It's all vocal no feathers involved. Spit comes out of his mouth, drum comes from deep in chest. I can hear the drum way further than most folks but have trouble coursing it.

mwr

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 03, 2016, 11:27:01 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 03, 2016, 10:47:55 AM
Quote from: SinGin on May 03, 2016, 10:24:10 AM
I'd like to knw also. I killed a bird a few years ago that was drumming but wasn't strutting, first time I had ever heard it. I heard it again this weekend. The bird would drum right at the end of his gobble but I never saw him to see if he was strutting or not. Maybe someone should make a drumming call. If they do I want 10%.

I was just thinking I should give a natural voice spit and drum sound a try on a hung up bird sometime

Yes, it worked for me last week.
Let's hear it!! :blob10: :blob10:

THattaway

Quote from: WiLL B on May 03, 2016, 11:58:22 PM
I have seen many gobblers drum without strutting. A couple this year. It's all vocal no feathers involved. Spit comes out of his mouth, drum comes from deep in chest. I can hear the drum way further than most folks but have trouble coursing it.
Were those toms doing the mean walk (head tucked some and breast feathers puffed)? Were they drumming with their breast feathers all slicked down?

I think many here, like me, are just saying they have never heard drumming without seeing a tom puffing their breasts, at least. I know many older toms I've seen come in drumming didn't always do a lot of fanning. More like they'd just drop their wings for a second, tuck their head and puff/drum then come on in walking. I've also seen some two year olds that seemed would never come out of a full fanning strut.

As far as the spit, I know for a fact that the wings dropping make a "chic" sound while the toms make the spit sound with their throat. What I've seen makes me believe the spit is air being sucked in/some released as the craw is being rapidly compressed. Like taking a deep breath and immediately compress your chest with a violent squeeze. Figure those toms breast muscles are then being rapidly flexed to beat on that craw "drum" for the deep resonating sound. When I raised turkeys as a kid and they'd compete to fill up on feed and there were many times that a tom would have the side of his throat crammed with grain. They'd also make the spit sound taking air in during those times. I know this because I've handled those same turkeys while they were making it, felt the feed packed in the side of their throats and marveled how they stored it that way and kept breathing. Almost as if they could take on and store food quickly before it migrated to the craw. Guess that's why I've felt the spit sound could be made taking air in or out, but still a sound made with air through the beak and throat.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Gooserbat

I don't know all the details of it but I know I'm lucky because I can hear it from 250 yards away on a calm day.  Not very many can but it's certainly a blessing to be able to hear that frequency.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.