North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Easy Question about SA459 20 gauge turkey with pistol grip

Started by OldSwamper, May 02, 2016, 04:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSwamper

DrDirtNap

According to one website its 13.5 inches.  I'm looking at this gun hard.  Only negative I can find is the crappy trigger but its that way on most shotguns....

OldSwamper

I am pretty much sold on the gun and was just curious. I shoot left handed and had to make sure sAfety could be switched over. Otherwise, would already have one

krink1cb

I also shoot left handed. Can the safety be switched over to shoot lefty?

OldSwamper

Yes it can, but weatherby said there is a special part needed and gun must be sent back to have it done for around $40-50.  Can't order one that way, it is considered a custom order. Have to send it back

gophert

I have talked to a few that said their trigger was fine out of the box, so I think it's hit or miss.  However the majority I've heard are not good.  I'm gonna admit however, it is by far the best pure turkey gun I've ever hunted with. 

Sent from my typewriter

Roost 1

FL-Boss

I don't think anyone has purchased this gun and regretted it... I had the older model and now the newer model. loved them both.

g8rvet

I have the older one (2014 model) and notice nothing bad at all about the trigger.  I point it and fire it. Now, to be fair, I am not a rifle shooter and barely notice trigger pull that others may complain about, so I may not be the best judge, but I pulled mine out of the box, slapped in my choke of preference, sighted in the sights (used Federal game loads to get it close) and tested them with HW #7 at 40, 30 and 15.  3 dead birds all say it is fine. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

nyhunter

my buddy just bought this gun and the trigger was horrible got it back from being fixed and adding a center bead last Thursday patterned it Frday and killed his first bird with it Sunday. He put a Trulock Fed HW choke in it and it's dead on with the bead sight's.  This will be my next Turkey gun.

g8rvet

Quote from: nyhunter on May 03, 2016, 01:17:06 PM
my buddy just bought this gun and the trigger was horrible got it back from being fixed and adding a center bead last Thursday patterned it Frday and killed his first bird with it Sunday. He put a Trulock Fed HW choke in it and it's dead on with the bead sight's.  This will be my next Turkey gun.

New or old?  What is a horrible trigger?  I have just never really encountered trigger issues on any firearm (other than single action revolvers or autos - that took a little getting used to get accurate).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Horrendo Revolver

Picked mine up Friday.  The trigger pull is very heavy with tons of creep.  A horrible trigger.  I'm surprised because our two SA-08's have excellent triggers IMO.  Will be sending the trigger off to be worked on this week.
Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council

gophert

Mine was pulling about 7 lbs and broke all the way back almost to the trigger guard.  You had no idea when the gun was gonna fire.  Sent it to Rob Roberts gun works.  It now pulls 3.5-4 lbs and breaks early. 

Sent from my typewriter

codym

Quote from: Horrendo Revolver on May 03, 2016, 08:13:57 PM
Picked mine up Friday.  The trigger pull is very heavy with tons of creep.  A horrible trigger.  I'm surprise because the our two SA-08's have excellent triggers IMO.  Will be sending the trigger off to be worked on this week.

This is mine too. I need to send it off after the season is over.

TauntoHawk

the trigger isnt ideal but its a turkey gun and a heavy pull isnt nearly as important as a rifle and 300+ yd shots.

how expensive is trigger work
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>