turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last day success!!!!!!

Started by Spurs, May 01, 2016, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

Well, I got one at 7:15 AM on the opener and 7:10 AM on the closer.

Yesterday morning I decided to head back to north Arkansas due to the fact that my hunting ground down here SUCKS!!!!!  Got there around 2:30 PM and walked a 6 mile round trip where all my action was a hen with a loud mouth (see my other posts from yesterday). 

I went to a high ridge that I had heard a few birds a week and a half ago for my point-of-operation.  At around 5:50 am I decided something should have happened, so I did my best imitation of the lonesome barred owl....BINGO!!!!  He was a decent little hike down the main road, so I SPRINTED!!!!  I split the distance in short order and hooted again....BINGO!!!!  This time I'm getting close.  I tip-toed up to a pimped out lookin strip of hardwoods that just looked deadly.  I decided I would cluck and purr him out of that nasty little holler....nothing.  A little dumbfounded, I got a little more aggressive...nothing.  I sat there for about 10 minutes...nothing.  Hooted.....nothing.

Well, I'm not the most patient person in the world and I said to heck with this tight lipped son-of-a-gun.

I made haste to return to my truck because I had parked it on a ridge that I knew should have a bird on it.  I got to the truck and let out a little sweet music with my Hook's Batwing...nothing.  Went the standard 150 yards and cut again....nothing.  Decided to give it one more shot at the next little mound about 150 further..............YAHTZEE!!!!!!  He was located about 200 yards in a small saddle, so I went down my ridged to a pinch point that dreams are made of.  Pines, hardwoods, very little underbrush, and me....with my boom stick.

I assumed the position in front of a pine tree, that I am sure, completely consumed my Mossy Oak Bottomlands and Greenleaf vest (all old school I should mention) and gave him that sweet and sassy talk.  He didn't reply with a gobble, but he did hit drop the beat....Drum for you older hands.

I kept up with the purring and 3-note Yelps for a moment.  I could tell from the drumming that he had closed the distance, but I have issues pin pointing drumming.  So I did a small cut sequence....BOOM.....just to the right over the rise.  I adjusted and just in that moment I saw that little red, whit, and blue head.  I drew down a bead as he created the hill and did what we have all done at one time or another....flat out missed bigger than Dallas.  I quickly cut and stood up all in one movement.  He half gobbled and stopped for his last breath.  The Longbeard #6 were delivered by the Browning A5 as they were meant to....turkey down, stress gone, season over, last tag filled.

It was probably one of the most exciting seasons I have had in my life.  Not a ton of birds, but when I heard one, I saw him.  I have had the luck to call up 9 birds within shooting distance, but have only had 3 meet their maker. 

No scale, so no weight.
1-1/8" beard
10-1/2" beard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

Happy

Congrats. Good way to end the the season!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on the last day kill!! :icon_thumright:

renegade19

KYHeadhunter02

mgm1955

Greg Massey

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SteelerFan

Rapscallion Vermilion

Congrats.  Great way to finish up.  Pretty little creek there.

cramerhunts

Congratulations!Way to go out with a bang!

Cleveland48

Congrats! Great picture also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maytom

Congrats on a fine hunt!!! :icon_thumright:

Gumby

Congrats man! Had my worst Arkansas season ever this year so quite the accomplishment to get it done so late

Jmbradt3873

Awesome story, great bird. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk