turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Last weekend's video, hunting by boat

Started by catman529, April 29, 2016, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

I had a crazy weekend hunting a completely new spot to me. I had fished there some before, but never hunted it. Could have killed a gobbler right off the bat, but as it often goes for me, I goofed up more than once on some easy shots and finally managed to kill one that took me by surprise on the 2nd evening.

http://youtu.be/dVBQxCUXKK0

No I won't say which lake, but it's like most lakes in Tennessee. Lots of map studying and hill climbing to get to the birds.

Hope y'all enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiLL B

Enjoyed it! Looks like it was a good weekend with a lot of action! I enjoy all your videos

wvmntnhick

DirtNap647

Greg Massey

Great video, maybe a little more patience"s on the shot next time and you will get that long beard. Remember how you were missing turkeys last year. You don't want to start that again..good luck, keep the video's coming. Remember patience's is the name of the game. Also in the video i heard you using that slate call.

catman529

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 30, 2016, 11:15:56 AM
Great video, maybe a little more patience"s on the shot next time and you will get that long beard. Remember how you were missing turkeys last year. You don't want to start that again..good luck, keep the video's coming. Remember patience's is the name of the game. Also in the video i heard you using that slate call.
I always slip up at some point and pull a shot...just did it again this morning, on another lake, this time I'm fishing and brought the gun just in case...called the bird across the state line and missed. In the video I was using the wingbone, crystal call and a mouth call.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

mgm1955

Strick9

I managed some property for some guys. They spent a fair amount of money on equipment, seed, fertilizer, campers, grills etc. I couldn't for the life of me get them to upgrade their rifles and optics nor could I get them to practice shooting.

It always baffles me how some will put so much effort into something and yet not practice the number one most important factor...the actual shot.

Not saying this you but having built long range rifles, tactical shotguns, AR platforms etc for around 20 years you can still find me practicing and practicing a lot.

May a I suggest that one day when you are bored going and  buying two boxes of dove loads , find yourself a tree, put out 5-10 tennis balls on strings and hang them from various yardages on limbs or whatever. Back ground must be safe obviously.  Now run by and give each of them a swing then quickly back to the tree, sit down and without taking the time to catch your breath shoot the swinging tennis balls. It will help and help a lot with trigger pull, breathing, proper cheek weld and barrel track.

I liked the video as well and have seen your other stuff, you are full of hunt no doubt. I would put a 10 dollar bill that one day in the future your misses will fade away, you will always know your target and the desire to roost shoot a bird will be a thing of the past.. Ok so when do I come up and hop in the boat with ya!! Good stuff in all honesty buddy!
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Greg Massey

Quote from: Strick9 on May 01, 2016, 02:23:40 PM
I managed some property for some guys. They spent a fair amount of money on equipment, seed, fertilizer, campers, grills etc. I couldn't for the life of me get them to upgrade their rifles and optics nor could I get them to practice shooting.

It always baffles me how some will put so much effort into something and yet not practice the number one most important factor...the actual shot.

Not saying this you but having built long range rifles, tactical shotguns, AR platforms etc for around 20 years you can still find me practicing and practicing a lot.

May a I suggest that one day when you are bored going and  buying two boxes of dove loads , find yourself a tree, put out 5-10 tennis balls on strings and hang them from various yardages on limbs or whatever. Back ground must be safe obviously.  Now run by and give each of them a swing then quickly back to the tree, sit down and without taking the time to catch your breath shoot the swinging tennis balls. It will help and help a lot with trigger pull, breathing, proper cheek weld and barrel track.

I liked the video as well and have seen your other stuff, you are full of hunt no doubt. I would put a 10 dollar bill that one day in the future your misses will fade away, you will always know your target and the desire to roost shoot a bird will be a thing of the past.. Ok so when do I come up and hop in the boat with ya!! Good stuff in all honesty buddy!    I agree i have watch all of his videos and he gets over excited sometime and rushes his shot and misses a lot of birds or takes a change of crippling birds. But he does a great job of videoing and i would still hunt with him anytime.

catman529

Quote from: Strick9 on May 01, 2016, 02:23:40 PM

I liked the video as well and have seen your other stuff, you are full of hunt no doubt. I would put a 10 dollar bill that one day in the future your misses will fade away, you will always know your target and the desire to roost shoot a bird will be a thing of the past.. Ok so when do I come up and hop in the boat with ya!! Good stuff in all honesty buddy!
thanks for the advice, I have had similar advice from people on another forum about target shooting more often. I will be buying a few boxes of turkey shells on clearance whenever I find them. I want to practice with the real shells not dove loads.

Oh and as for roost shooting one, I haven't done that in 4 years nor have I had the desire to do it again.

RutnNStrutn

Looks like a great area with lots of turks!! Thanks for sharing your video! :icon_thumright:

marshboy

I've always enjoyed your videos.
Well done.
Greg

Strick9

Just reread my post and I came off a wee bit strong. Just want to reemphasize that I admire your drive and your never quit attitude. I am the same and at present have logged 37 hunts this season alone and still have three days to go. Your obviously passionate about the sport and you honestly seem like a good young man. Just wanted you to know I wasn't busting your chops to hard anyway lol..  Use dove loads, no sense in banging up your shoulder and face and you will get the same affect , its the muscle memory that is important and shooting that many turkey loads may teach you subconciously to flinch. Now open them young ears and listen I tell ya  :goofball:
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

gophert

Get u a red dot...problem solved.  I enjoy ur videos.  As a video hunter myself, I'm more impressed with all the editing you have to do.  That probably takes more time than the hunt.

Sent from my typewriter