turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call me crazy on avian x?

Started by Swampchickin234, April 27, 2016, 08:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampchickin234

Was sitting here contemplating. I've been reading here and there about the avian x decoys leaking. My question, if we knew we were gonna leave em blown up, could we fill them with an expandable foam?    It wouldn't matter if you shot it , kicked it, etc.    thoughts ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spursRus

I have a hen that has been leaking. I was thinking about trying to put a can of fix-a-flat in it. Anybody else done anything to try and fix leaks?

Swampchickin234

Spurs that's a good idea too.  If you want to be able to do that

What I am really thinking I guess is permaeyly foam filling the decoy.  I love how they look and kind of wish tey were a hard body.  ??   I' don't know.  It might work.  Have done it with waterfowl decoys and it makes them battle proof.  They never sink, leak etc.  you ca beat the crap out of em and you don't have to worry.  I was just thinking like I always do about incorporating that "beat to crap" mentality into some turkey decoys.  If you filled them, they would always have there shape, never have to worry about air, and it would add basically no physical weight. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomfoolery

Wait. Avian x decoys are blow up?? I was thinking about getting some until reading this. Not fond of having to air up decoys everytime I get set up. Guess I'll stick with the dsd

Gooserbat

I've thought about the same thing.  Interested if anyone has done it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

I have used "Great stuff" expandable foam I got at lowes it works good hardly any weight added...just be careful to not over expand it

Tunaguy

Should work... be careful what type of foam you put in. The very expandable type may split the seams.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tomfoolery on April 27, 2016, 10:13:10 AM
Wait. Avian x decoys are blow up?? I was thinking about getting some until reading this. Not fond of having to air up decoys everytime I get set up. Guess I'll stick with the dsd
I've used these decoys for over 2 years and i've never had to add much air after blowing them up the first time. But i leave mine blow up all the time..

Tomfoolery

Probably a stupid question. But will they fold up while aired up?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tomfoolery on April 27, 2016, 01:27:28 PM
Probably a stupid question. But will they fold up while aired up?
Not really..

C.Kimzey95

My breeder is leaking... Has anyone fixed them without filling them with foam and what seems to be be the best way to go about doing it ?

Happy

Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to lug a full size decoy around. I prefer one I can slip in the back of my vest for the odd occasion I use it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on April 27, 2016, 04:17:49 PM
Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to lug a full size decoy around. I prefer one I can slip in the back of my vest for the odd occasion I use it.
Happy all of us don't hunt the same way.. that's what makes hunting great..remember...Have you got that bird yet ?

Marc

The potential issues I see with permanent foam filling are:

1) Expansion and contraction with altitude changes...  I have to under-inflate mine when hunting the foothills, cause the decoy expands as I increase in altitude.
2) Expansion and contraction with temperature changes.  As soon as the season is done, I pull the valve so that the decoy will not pop in the heat of the summer.  On cold spring days, I have to add more air...
3) Weight...  I would think that any foam that would be a permanent solution would add considerable weight (and the light weight was a primary consideration in my purchase of the decoys).
4) The foam itself contracting or losing shape over time, and then not being able to add more due to blocking the valve system.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Happy

Oh I agree that we don't hunt the same way. This wasn't a bash on decoys at all. I just don't understand why people would  want the pain of lugging around full sized decoys. And negative on the bird. Haven't hunted this week at all yet.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club