OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call me crazy on avian x?

Started by Swampchickin234, April 27, 2016, 08:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Seems like alot of money spent on something that has a tendency to leak air.  I have cherokee sports dekes with the taxidermy heads and leaking has never been an issue.  Much more affordable and really compact.

Marc

Quote from: Happy on April 27, 2016, 04:31:00 PM
Oh I agree that we don't hunt the same way. This wasn't a bash on decoys at all. I just don't understand why people would  want the pain of lugging around full sized decoys. And negative on the bird. Haven't hunted this week at all yet.
Happy, I have always enjoyed your posts...

Speaking for myself, I am often hunting close to the truck in the morning, and frequently hunting a more open area...  I have no issue carrying a couple decoys a couple hundred yards for a more realistic setup...  A good jake and hen (as I have often had birds hang up on just a hen).  The birds are getting a good look at these decoys from a long ways off, and I do believe that realism probably helps and at worst does not hurt.

If/when I do not kill that bird with my initial setup, I head back to the truck, and put the decoys away...  When I run & gun, I generally like to set up in an area where the bird has to come looking for me...  I do not want to deal with quickly trying to set up a decoy, nor carrying a decoy, and plus, I plain feel that the majority of the time looking for a love-lorn bird later in the morning, that a decoy can be counter-productive...  Once they see that single hen decoy they strut around and wait for her instead of continuing forward motion looking for her...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Happy

I gotcha. I guess I just haven't been convinced that turkeys are that particular on decoys myself. From my limited experience it doesn't take much to impress them. By all means if it's what you like then go with it. This wasn't meant at all as an attack on decoys. I just would sacrifice detail for portability all day long myself.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Happy on April 27, 2016, 05:21:12 PM
I gotcha. I guess I just haven't been convinced that turkeys are that particular on decoys myself. From my limited experience it doesn't take much to impress them. By all means if it's what you like then go with it. This wasn't meant at all as an attack on decoys. I just would sacrifice detail for portability all day long myself.
this right here. you don't have to have a ultra real looking decoy to fool these birds. the old feather flex foam decoys doesn't look to great to me but they are effective. remember they have a walnut size brain and they don't compute that a decoy looks fake. watch them strut around a motionless jake decoy that does not move and then they attack it. still the decoy doesn't do anything , but yet they are still convinced that they are whipping a real jake lol. they have no reasoning skills.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Swampchickin234

We'll fellers I would agree with all your points.

Do I need real good lookin decoys?   Heck no. 

I don't use em Much , but I like to have some

I still have some old foam feather flex and gen 1 Cherokee sports.   They all work. I agree.   

Midway usa has all avian x on sale for 55 bucks ad free shipping. I love the stake ad bag they come with, so in my mind I justified them as costing 30 bucks, because the bag and stake are worth it to me

I have access to some taxidermy foam that is use for making forms.  Also though about some great stuff

Doubt I do either.  I was just curious if y'all had done so. 

Goo luck to Everbody this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBendr

If you use the great stuff brand foam be sure to get the type that is specified for doors and windows, it has minimal expansion properties. The regular may blow your seams out.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

deltaeta

If it's leaking from an actual hole like mine was, I used shoe goo. Sealed up great.

highcj5

very interested in this.  mine has started leaking very fast.  it wasn't doing it a couple of weeks ago.  noticed it this weekend, so it has just happened.  not very happy as I just bought it last year.  when season goes out, I will try and figure something out to keep the air in.  I had already thought about the great stuff foam.  need to find out were it is leaking first?    jesse   

Marc

Quote from: highcj5 on April 27, 2016, 09:03:08 PM
very interested in this.  mine has started leaking very fast.  it wasn't doing it a couple of weeks ago.  noticed it this weekend, so it has just happened.  not very happy as I just bought it last year.  when season goes out, I will try and figure something out to keep the air in.  I had already thought about the great stuff foam.  need to find out were it is leaking first?    jesse

I bought one last season and it leaked...  I forgot to return it before the warranty, but I emailed them anyways...  They sent me a letter of apology for my inconvenience and a return shipping label with a new decoy, and told me to keep the extra bag and stake for my inconvenience...

I would email them and tell them of your dilemma.  They might just send you a new decoy with no questions asked. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

cramerhunts

My feeder had a slow leak and I put some Slime in it, blew it up, shook it and no more leak.

snapper1982

Alot of hassel for a decoy that costs what they do. Wonder when my Dave Smiths will start leaking.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 28, 2016, 01:16:48 PM
Alot of hassel for a decoy that costs what they do. Wonder when my Dave Smiths will start leaking.
i agree.  I'm not knocking dsd. I personally just do not use decoys enough to spend 120 bucks on a hen decoy. They look amazing and I congratulate on your terrific purchase.  Like I said.  I found the avians for 55 bucks with free shipping.  That is les than half of that dsd, so I got 2 for 1.  I was jst wandering if I used my imagination a little, if I couldn't just put some foam in one and have 2  permanent "hard body" decoys that I paid the same price for 2 as compared to 1 dsd.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 28, 2016, 01:16:48 PM

I'll take them off your hands before they do brother.  :TooFunny:

Actually, soon as season is over, I'm getting rid of all my decoys and getting a set of the Montana 3D decoys.

jepcho

I fixed mine by inflating them and searching for the leak with soapy water.  Once I found the leak just put a dab of gasket maker, or some type of sealant and letting it dry.  Seems to be working, might not last forever though.

tha bugman

Quote from: Happy on April 27, 2016, 04:17:49 PM
Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to lug a full size decoy around. I prefer one I can slip in the back of my vest for the odd occasion I use it.
I have had both and have finally come to the same conclusion.  Same feather flex that I got in the '90's still works.  Doesn't look as pretty but works.