turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cow patties and turkeys?

Started by chefrific, April 25, 2016, 11:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chefrific

While hunting out west, it was the first time I've hunted with cattle around.  The rancher said to look for areas where you see a lot of dried cow patties flipped over and you will see turkeys.  To my surprise, he was correct.  Where ever we found a spot with a lot of cow patties flipped over, we found a ton of turkey droppings, tracks, etc.
Our guess is that they are flipping them over to look for bugs.  I didn't witness a turkey actually flipping over one, but I'm positive that's what is going on.
I did notice that the birds I shot smelled strongly of cow manure and sage.  A lovely bouquet, lol.
So my question is to you guys that hunt them here in Georgia and for that matter anywhere else.  Is this a common practice for turkeys?

mudhen

Yup...they flip them over...eat bugs...pick stuff out of the pie...

Turkeys & cows may not be best friends, but they do mix well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

davisd9

They eat seeds out the patties as well.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

nitro

Whatever the cows ate and didn't digest, the turkeys will .......... :TooFunny:

Love me a pasture gobbler. Especially a pasture with a ditch or creek = DEATH ZONE..
Royal Slam 2008

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

born2hunt

Yeah and they don't necessarily wait for it to dry either,  sometimes I think they just follow them around and get it when it hits the ground.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

tomstopper

Quote from: nitro on April 25, 2016, 01:06:35 PM
Whatever the cows ate and didn't digest, the turkeys will .......... :TooFunny:

Love me a pasture gobbler. Especially a pasture with a ditch or creek = DEATH ZONE..
:agreed: This is exactly why I love hunting dairy farms

Greg Massey

Just wait until you see a gobbler track in a wet cow pattie...

Big perm2

I have feed cows hole corn (cattle can't digest hole corn)when I was younger, the reason being is that the cows walk around pooping and it would be hole corn in the patties and turkeys where everywhere in that field!!! Ha ha!!

Talkem into given up!!!

reynolds243

Quote from: Big perm2 on April 26, 2016, 07:46:23 PM
I have feed cows hole corn (cattle can't digest hole corn)when I was younger, the reason being is that the cows walk around pooping and it would be hole corn in the patties and turkeys where everywhere in that field!!! Ha ha!!

Talkem into given up!!!

Hahah I like your style

Happy

I don't believe I have ever killed a bird that knew what a cow pie was. I killed two on a farm in my life but there were no cattle for miles. Only crops.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on April 26, 2016, 07:52:25 PM
I don't believe I have ever killed a bird that knew what a cow pie was. I killed two on a farm in my life but there were no cattle for miles. Only crops.
Happy your needing to get out more and hunt these cow patties...ha ha ha

JHoyle

I've grown up hunting cow pastures and this the first thing I look for as far as sign. It's hard to find tracks and such because it goes from cow pasture to oak hammock and not a lot of soft dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejd

MOooooo to the walking bait piles.

Happy

I am a bit of a shut in I suppose. Least I don't have to run from any bulls!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club