turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aggravated

Started by turkeywhisperer935, April 24, 2016, 08:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeywhisperer935

Just about fed up with this aggravating sport. Tired of overcrowded public land, tired of expensive land lease, tired of over priced licenses shells and over advertised crap that don't work. Tired of low turkey populations and no gobbleing. Safe bet I give it a week next year and if it ain't better im done. Also a safe bet if I quit hunting this aggravating bird I'll never buy a license again. Rant over, sorry.

jac63

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like frustration boiling over that hopefully a little time will help. Every once in a while we all get a bit of the same but when it all works and you're standing over that bird that you just bagged it seems worth it. Here's hoping that you have one of those perfect hunts and the fire rekindles for you.

turkeywhisperer935

I been hoping that too jac63 but it's been this way and getting worse for several years. The place I hunted my whole life got clear cut and ruined so I'm having to beg and hunt public land mostly now. Where I live in TN nobody let's anybody hunt so don't bother asking for permission. The lease I paid alot of money for has nothing on it either and I hate hunting wma's cause they're sooooo crowded.  I love this with all my soul but it's getting not worth the money or lack of sleep anymore when you know what to expect when you get to the woods.

Happy

I hope it gets better for you. Like you I hunt a lot of public ground. Yeah it sucks sometimes. Just this morning I busted butt up an incline most wouldn't touch, worked a bird for a half hour and then missed at 25 yards. Frustrated yes, gonna quit, never. I hope you can find the joy again and the fire gets lit. Public ground ain't for wimps. Good luck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Gobbler

You should try being a turkey hunter in Florida , sad thing is many parts of the country are getting about as bad or worse

Mainstream hunting media , over promoting the activity ....is a major contributor to the decline in the situation , no sooner the widespread circulation of "bill Jordans real tree " tv show then the bs started

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

turkeywhisperer935

Right, wish I had there places to hunt.

jwright8

I know your pain. The lease I've hunted since I was old enough to hunt, doesn't have but 1 sometimes 2 birds on it, this year.  Its usually covered with them. Public land where I'm at sucks as well. I've called in one bird this year and missed it. Stick in there, don't give up. The bad times make the good much better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Yep for the average guy like us , hunting is getting tougher year to year. With that said , this sport ain't for the faint of heart. If we had access to half the places these celebrities have then we could rack up birds left and right too.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

AndyH

If it is as bad as you say save that money you pay for a lease and go on a couple hunts every spring. I'm dealing with landowner grandkids riding four wheelers on my best spot, now I listen to them gobble on adjoining property  I don't have permission for every morning, aggravated yes but it sure beats sitting at home doing chores.

BowBendr

Quote from: AndyH on April 24, 2016, 10:21:46 AM
If it is as bad as you say save that money you pay for a lease and go on a couple hunts every spring.

^^  This  ^^
Public land in my area is getting worse for all the above mentioned reasons. Finding a private spot is very hard to do as you mentioned and joining a club lease doesn't ensure a good huntable population of  birds. I take the money I would spend locally and hit the road. I save every dime I can to make it happen. I'll pick up roadside beer cans if I have to. I will hunt and I will kill turkeys. Couldnt stop if I had to...

SinGin

Lets talk next March and we'll see how ya feel then

turkey buster

Turkey hunting is rewarding when it all comes together. Had my toughest year yet but managed to kill 2 and call up a 3rd that was killed by my uncle. Don't ever give up, all the trials and hard times will make the reward so sweet when you do finally connect on one.

Spurs

Wish that all the "public" land would become PUBLIC land.  No more permits, no more draws, no more special seasons.  Let it open when it opens for the entire state.  If it is the revenue they are worried about, start a area usage fee or stamp.  This would free up more area for people to spread out.  The problem isn't over crowding, it is over restriction.

I hear it all the time, "if I don't get drawn for ____ permit, I'm gunna fight the crowds at ____."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

Bowguy

Don't hunt where others hunt. Use a boat n get on an island or far side of reservoir, hike a mountain if you're capable. Roost birds n be first one near them in am. Stay with it bud n find a way through the problems. I do understand the frustrations though cause deer season is that way round here. Turkey isn't as bad normally

quavers59

Hang in there!!!- Things will get better for you.