OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red dot failure

Started by yella yelper, April 23, 2016, 10:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

Anyone have any horror stories on one malfunctioning during a hunt?

Tossing around getting one for next year but can't get it out of my mind a stick punching the glass out, battery malfunction, etc.

Also what's the going rate on getting a gun drilled & tapped or is there a better solution? 870 20ga youth if it matters.

I'm sure the benefits far outweigh the possible negatives but want to hear of anyone has had one ruin a hunt.

reynolds243

I've used a FF3 for about 4-5 years now and never had an issue personally. Have a few buddies that use them as well and never had an issue

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Cleveland48

I have used a red dot several times with no issues. I'm always paranoid about a dead battery though. I prefer a scope most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

your over thinking it I love red dots buy one and hunt

Snoodsniper

I keep spare batteries in my vest so far I haven't had to change one in the field. Been using red dots for five years or so. They'll take as much abuse as any scope would.

taketheshot

Red dots are a great tool if you know your areas of failure. Most horror stories are from people who weren't prepared.
Worried about battery failure? Put a fresh battery in every season and bring a spare in the field.
Worried about it dying, knocked off zero, punching the glass out? Pattern your shotgun with just your bead and bring a screw driver/allen to be able to remove it in the field. Some red dots support QD mounts.
If you're prepared to strip down to just your bead, your current day's hunt won't be a bust.

allaboutshooting

All of the "dot" sights today are much better than they were just a few years ago. They are tougher and manufacturers have learned how to make the batteries last very much longer. Most batteries will now last 1000 hours. Many sights will automatically turn off if you forget to turn them off and adjustment to light conditions is better and easier. They are also smaller and lighter than ever. The "hit of the show" at the latest NWTF Conventon was a very small, light dot sight that you could tap anywhere to turn on, set for the time you wanted it to turn off if you forgot and that could stand more "g" force than was likely unless you were going on top of a large rocket, among other features. The batteries also last thousands of hours in that sight. Dot sights have really changed.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

yella yelper

Thanks guys, I do tend to over think things

Yoder409

I run red dot sights from a pretty broad slice of the quality spectrum and have NEVER had an issue in the field.

Batteries are cheap.  I stick a new one in at the beginning of each season even though one battery would likely last 10 years or more.  I also keep spares in my pack.

I have never had to re-zero any of them from season to season when using the same load.  The sight I have had on my 3 1/2" SX2 for 10 years is one I got for free when I bought a BSA rifle scope.  I think the thing retailed for $19.99 !!  Now THERE'S some quality optics !!!     :TooFunny:

But guess what ???  It has yet to let me down in ANY way.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I have fun a red dot for over a dozen years. Zero problems. I carry a spare battery and change to a new one every year. I also installed fiber optics as back up. If my scope fails I can look right through the groove in my mount and use the fiber optics. Both are sighted in. It isnt a perfect sight picture but will do in a pinch.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

decoykrvr

I've got two of the Nikon Monarch VSD (Variable Size Dot, 1/4/6/10 MOA) Dot Sights on turkey guns.  As an older designed red dot sight they don't have the battery life of some of the newer dot scopes, but I really like them due to the ability of adjust the dot size and dot intensity w/ changing light conditions.  I always carry an extra battery or two and a large brass washer to unscrew the top of the battery compartment.  Several years ago, I was on a "run and gun" for a gobbler which lasted about 3 hours.  After several unsuccessful set-ups, I finally got the gobbler working in and got my gun up to discover that my red dot had died.  With my shotgun in my lap and the gobbler hammering gobbles about 35 yards away, I removed the dead battery and replaced it.  The gobbler had moved off and I was able to call him back in and finally "close the deal".  This incident has made me more that a little paranoid and I visually check my red dot numerous times during a hunt.  I pulled it off once, but I don't want to do that again.