OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

North central kansas road trip

Started by spoonbill, April 23, 2016, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birddogdoc

Talked to my friend Sterling from Logan Kansas yesterday and he says it's the toughest season he's seen.  Birds are down by 50% and he hunts private land...I decided not to go this year. 

owlhoot

You know that just the amount of people who went on this site it isn't any wonder why it seems like the angel of death swept through . You can only imagine how many people go who just read and not post on the net. 

BowBendr

^^ My exact thoughts ^^
Wonder how many people read this site, yet never post a word. Gleaning info and hitting it fast.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

stinkpickle

It's already common knowledge.  The nwtf has been pimping it for a while.

spoonbill

lets not get negative right before I leave boys....lol

duxrus

Odds are that people posting "x's" are either not going back or lying.  Heck why not post this or that county is awesome all the while hunting somewhere totally different.

spoonbill

I hunt hard for easterns in the pine woods and swamps of Louisiana.  Mostly public land.  I'm definitely not scared to go and not hear a bird.  Been there done that,  hunted till dark and was back the next day.  I'm finally financially able to make some out of state hunts.  Believe me this coonass will give it hell.  If I come back with tags so be it.  If nothing else I will see some new country and spend some time with a buddy that I don't get to hunt with a lot with anymore.  I good time WILL be had don't worry.

stinkpickle

Quote from: spoonbill on May 07, 2016, 09:51:29 PM
I hunt hard for easterns in the pine woods and swamps of Louisiana.  Mostly public land.  I'm definitely not scared to go and not hear a bird.  Been there done that,  hunted till dark and was back the next day.  I'm finally financially able to make some out of state hunts.  Believe me this coonass will give it hell.  If I come back with tags so be it.  If nothing else I will see some new country and spend some time with a buddy that I don't get to hunt with a lot with anymore.  I good time WILL be had don't worry.

It's beautiful country.  You'll have a good time, regardless.  ;)

ThunderSK

I hunted (more like hiked) in North Central Kansas May 4-7th.  Only found one gobbler in those days on the multiple WIHAs in 6 different counties.  Definitely the worst hunt I have ever been on.  I did hear and see a few birds on private ground but NOTHING was on any of the WIHAs.  Sort of nice to hear everyone saying the same thing as it was not just me.  The only birds I know of that were killed were by sneak attack and none were on WIHAs.  People I talked to said when they called to birds they would turn and walk or run away.  I believe it's obvious they have been pressured to death.  And btw, none of the 4 turkeys I looked at that were dead were true Rios. 

spaightlabs

welllllllllll?  How'd your trip go?

Bolandstrutters

I'm leaving tonight at Midnight from eastern Missouri to get to my public spot by daybreak.  If they are acting anything like they are in Missouri, they are really killable right now. 

spoonbill

Sorry for taking so long on the update been trying to catch up on honey do's and work.  Me and my buddy both ended up taking nice mature birds (one each).  We had to work for them.  Traveled to a few different property's and ran into a lot of jakes.  We got lucky and got permission to hunt some private land and took a bird from it the other was taken on public.  We didn't tag out but had chances to do so.  We were blessed with great weather until Monday (the day we were leaving) and I was glad to be able to sleep in. Up at 4am and leaving the woods at 9pm will wear you out.  All in all a great trip in some of the most beautiful country I have ever stepped foot on.  It would have been worth it if I never pulled the trigger.  Hearing those rios gobble their brains out didn't hurt my feelings either lol.   

spaightlabs

Excellent!  Glad you guys had a good time.

hobbes

That's great!  Post up some photos from the trip.