turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

North central kansas road trip

Started by spoonbill, April 23, 2016, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

It only took me one time getting stuck in NW KS to only stay on county roads after a rain. Rain has cut short my hunting time more than once. 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

larry9988

I hunted Osbourn County Kansas about two weeks ago on the opening three days of season. Many birds in this area on some of the public lands. Just locate the walk in areas with creeks and you will find the turkeys. As for the roads in this county, most were covered with limestone screenings and it really will help with slippery roads and there are a lot of ticks there.

larry9988

I can also say that I heard more gobblers at sun up standing in one spot than I have heard all the last three seasons in Georgia put together. I have no idea how many birds were gobbling at one time. I am used to hearing one, two or maybe three birds on a hunt if any and this was amazing. It was worth the trip just to hear that. I will go back and it took me 20 hours one way to get there. Just go.

spaightlabs

It does pick the heart beat up a bit and is good for the soul to hear that many gobblers going off at first light, for sure.

stinkpickle

I haven't heard THAT many birds out there, but I've definitely heard enough to fill the tags.  ;)

spoonbill

Thanks fellas we are goin to get there on may 11 and stay till may 16. Just booked a cabin at a state park.  Super pumped about getting up there. Should be a fun trip either way.

Crawl79

On road north now from Louisiana. ETA 1 hour before fly down.

spaightlabs

Looks like today will be a little chilly with a shower but the weather looks fantastic for the next few days.  I like your chances.

Be safe.

spoonbill

Quote from: Crawl79 on April 30, 2016, 08:13:21 PM
On road north now from Louisiana. ETA 1 hour before fly down.
GOOD LUCK.  Weather looks decent for yall.  We had one hell of a storm come through Carencro LA last early sunday morning.  They had to close down I49.

spaightlabs

weather is perfect...let's get an update.

I've got pics of 4 birds from 2 buddies for yesterday and today - expect some hero shots from y'all.

spoonbill

We flying into witchita next thursday morning( 5/12.)  Scouting that afternoon.  Will keep yall updated

tha bugman

My experience on late season WIHA was not good.  We killed birds but they were spread out and most of the WIHA were small tracts little to no trees and the birds would either no be there or roost there and move to private.  Any birds we saw in the fields would run for cover if you even slowed down to look at them from the road.  That was just our experience, but we are pretty much dullards. 
Good luck! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBendr

Quote from: larry9988 on April 29, 2016, 06:17:05 PM
I hunted Osbourn County Kansas about two weeks ago on the opening three days of season. Many birds in this area on some of the public lands. Just locate the walk in areas with creeks and you will find the turkeys. As for the roads in this county, most were covered with limestone screenings and it really will help with slippery roads and there are a lot of ticks there.

I really wish that people would leave post like this off the dang internet. Its post like this that caused me to drive 3,000 miles in 8 days looking for gobblers. Place is shot out like the angel of death swept thru that whole area....between 3 of us, we killed 2 birds.
Spoonbill - I dont know what state park you are staying in but I will go ahead and tell you the truth. You better have a pocket full of gas money because you will be driving, and I mean driving alot to find birds. In the state park we stayed in, we were having to drive 2 hours minimum to find gobblers. Oh, you'll hear 357 jakes in a day but to get on gobblers you will have to work hard. If you need more specific info please pm me and I will tell you what it was like the past 8 days. I will publicly tell you on this forum that we never heard or saw a mature gobbler in Jewell Co., we were very disappointed in what we saw. These guys get out there, have a good hunt then tell the whole world about it on the internet and every cyber-scouter in the world goes and hits these areas hard. My constant comment for 8 days was that it was literally like the angel of death came thru and took every gobbler, and it is not because of pressure, it is because they are dead.

drake799

Same way for duck hunting ????  Internet has ruined a lot of things

stinkpickle

Quote from: BowBendr on May 07, 2016, 12:34:02 PM
Quote from: larry9988 on April 29, 2016, 06:17:05 PM

I really wish that people would leave post like this off the dang internet. Its post like this that caused me to drive 3,000 miles in 8 days looking for gobblers. Place is shot out like the angel of death swept thru that whole area....between 3 of us, we killed 2 birds.
Spoonbill - I dont know what state park you are staying in but I will go ahead and tell you the truth. You better have a pocket full of gas money because you will be driving, and I mean driving alot to find birds. In the state park we stayed in, we were having to drive 2 hours minimum to find gobblers. Oh, you'll hear 357 jakes in a day but to get on gobblers you will have to work hard. If you need more specific info please pm me and I will tell you what it was like the past 8 days. I will publicly tell you on this forum that we never heard or saw a mature gobbler in Jewell Co., we were very disappointed in what we saw. These guys get out there, have a good hunt then tell the whole world about it on the internet and every cyber-scouter in the world goes and hits these areas hard. My constant comment for 8 days was that it was literally like the angel of death came thru and took every gobbler, and it is not because of pressure, it is because they are dead.

Yeah, I've had a trip, or two, to Kansas like that, also.  :/