OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

North central kansas road trip

Started by spoonbill, April 23, 2016, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonbill

Quote from: honker22 on April 26, 2016, 02:35:47 PM
Freaking Gnats!!! I've been to that area once, on a whim like you and got pounded by monster gnats.  Thermacell and Deet and Permethrine do nothing against them.  If there is something that repels them, buy it, even if you have to sell a kidney.
Idk if we have different gnats here in Louisiana or not but at times they can be down right suffocating.  I know it sounds crazy but we use a vanilla scented body spray from Victoria secret called amber romance and it absolutely works.  Just make your ol lady buy it so you don't have any explaining to do lol.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Copper1 on April 26, 2016, 09:41:12 PM
... If you haven't been out there before and you see a sign that says " Rough Road or Unimproved Road" keep off of it after a rain!...

THIS ^^^ can't be emphasized enough.  If a dirt road has no gravel, make sure it's dry before driving on it.  And don't leave your truck on one, if you think it's going to rain.  It takes just one rotation to pack the tire treads, and that stuff won't spin off.

honker22

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 27, 2016, 12:11:00 PM
... If you haven't been out there before and you see a sign that says " Rough Road or Unimproved Road" keep off of it after a rain!...

THIS ^^^ can't be emphasized enough.  If a dirt road has no gravel, make sure it's dry before driving on it.  And don't leave your truck on one, if you think it's going to rain.  It takes just one rotation to pack the tire treads, and that stuff won't spin off.

OK yeah, I forgot about that.  We weren't there 45 minutes, waited out a rain storm and tried that out.  I mean c'mon, I live in the south and drive through nasty stuff and dirt roads all the time...  Ended up in the ditch after about 100 yards and completely buried in 4wd.  Sure glad the only guy that lived within a mile of there had a big tractor. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Hooksfan

Quote from: honker22 on April 27, 2016, 01:51:50 PM

OK yeah, I forgot about that.  We weren't there 45 minutes, waited out a rain storm and tried that out.  I mean c'mon, I live in the south and drive through nasty stuff and dirt roads all the time...  Ended up in the ditch after about 100 yards and completely buried in 4wd.  Sure glad the only guy that lived within a mile of there had a big tractor.

Haha. Yeah those farmers that live out that way don't particularly care for folks tearing their roads up either......Was he nice about it, or did he offer ya some advice??

Crawl79

Quote from: spoonbill on April 26, 2016, 02:31:42 PM
Anything in particular I should look out for in that area? Snakes,ticks that kind of stuff.

Ticks are worse than home there. We spray our clothes down with Permethrin when we head that way.

honker22

Quote from: Hooksfan on April 27, 2016, 02:24:39 PM

Haha. Yeah those farmers that live out that way don't particularly care for folks tearing their roads up either......Was he nice about it, or did he offer ya some advice??

He didn't say much, it was obvious we woke him up.  He didn't seem upset, showed little emotion.  He tore the hell out of his field and ditch in the process of getting me out... it was a big (probably 100 horse) 2wd tractor.  We were SUPER grateful, thanked him 100 times, and offered money and gifts but he did not accept it.  I felt awful about it, but we had no other options and he was kinda obligated bc I don't know where else we would've walked.  It was 3/4 mile from my truck and no other house in sight.  The definition of BFE
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

stinkpickle

Quote from: honker22 on April 27, 2016, 02:55:35 PM
Quote from: Hooksfan on April 27, 2016, 02:24:39 PM

He didn't say much, it was obvious we woke him up.  He didn't seem upset, showed little emotion.  He tore the hell out of his field and ditch in the process of getting me out... it was a big (probably 100 horse) 2wd tractor.  We were SUPER grateful, thanked him 100 times, and offered money and gifts but he did not accept it.  I felt awful about it, but we had no other options and he was kinda obligated bc I don't know where else we would've walked.  It was 3/4 mile from my truck and no other house in sight.  The definition of BFE

LOL!  It certainly is that.  My first day hunting out there, I tried to leave one evening after a storm...couldn't even keep my truck from doglegging towards the ditch.  I spent the night in the truck in the middle of the road.  I couldn't even remember the last occupied house I saw, or even another vehicle out there.

spoonbill

Thanks for the heads up guys definitely don't want to stick the truck in a ditch in the middle of nowhere.

spaightlabs

Been there, done that, made the walk, took the butt chewing...

stinkpickle

I dug up some old pics from my first trip out there and the road conditions, just for fun...

This is was after a morning hunt when a storm rolled out.  Once I hit gravel, I took this pic.  That's ONE set of tracks with the truck doglegging on flat ground.  LOL!

Here's another on a different road.  Again, it's just one set of tracks...

Even grassy roads are a treat.  $20 at a car wash is just a start...

These are the grassy roads in Kansas.  Some of the signposts appear out of nowhere...

3 ton bridge, eh?  Appears reasonable.  I wonder how old the sign is...

BUT it's beautiful country and there are birds to be found...

akp

Got myself in a bad situation up there pheasant hunting one year.  Still don't know how I got out.  Makes my stomach knot up just thinking about it.  It was cold and sleeting and there wasn't a house in sight. 

spoonbill

note to self- dont get caught slipping on one of these unimproved roads. lol

BowBendr

Im leaving to go out there tomorrow and y'all done got me freaked out ! Ive heard stories...but them pics make you worry. Its supposed to rain....

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

hobbes

Three locations that have "gravel" roads that I can assure you will put you in the ditch fast if wet.........Eastern Montana, Northwestern Nebraska, and Northcentral Kansas.  If you've never experienced it, it's hard to appreciate the importance of this warning.

While hunting take note of the roads that have a decent amount of gravel in them.  If you have rain coming, you'll need to know areas you can hunt that have decent roads.  If you note a lot of dried up ruts, the road will not be fun after a rain.

Copper1

We got stuck BAD last year on our trip in Kansas and spent 4 hours in that mess on a road we had no business being on. Local Farmer was not happy but he brought his 4x4 payloader and got us out. This year we had a few hairy moments but were a whole lot wiser about what roads to stay off of and what to look for. There are some WIHA areas that probably don't see much pressure because you can't hardly get to em because of the roads.     
BowBendr, you will be fine as long as you have a 4x4 and watch what you are doing. Good luck out there!