OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

North central kansas road trip

Started by spoonbill, April 23, 2016, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonbill

Me and a buddy are thinking about heading up to north central kansas and hitting some WIHA around may 15 (that's the only time we can take off and get yard passes).
Just wondering if we will be too late to the game? Or do yall think they will still be fired up around that time?  Never hunted kansas just got back from southeast oklahoma and we got our birds but had to work for them. Just dying to to hunt Rios and from what I hear kansas is a good place to do it.

spaightlabs

Don't know until ya go.

Pack your stuff and hit the road, there will be plenty of birds around and you will still find some willing participants.

spoonbill

You right if nothing else we can get the lay of the land and stuff like that for an earlier trip next year.  Hell we might even have a shot at a couple of long beards how could we go wrong :turkey2:

stinkpickle

It's anybody's guess if the birds will still be hot or not.  I've seen it both ways in the last half of May. Just remember to bring good binoculars.  ;)

spoonbill

With my luck it will probably be a "should have been here yesterday deal"  but wont know till we get up there.  Another question do yall think I am on the right track going to north central KS?  All I really have to go on is a buddy that was doing land work up there a few years ago made some hunts and had a good experience.

BowBendr

Quote from: spoonbill on April 23, 2016, 07:35:07 PM
With my luck it will probably be a "should have been here yesterday deal"  but wont know till we get up there.  Another question do yall think I am on the right track going to north central KS?  All I really have to go on is a buddy that was doing land work up there a few years ago made some hunts and had a good experience.

I'll let you know 1 week from today....
Getting ready to head that way.

dirtnap

I have been out there the last 3 years.  I have never been out there before May 15.  Some years have been better than others.  The first year we went out there was some of the best hunting I have ever seen.  Weather will be the biggest factor and how bad the property you are hunting has been beat up.

spoonbill

Quote from: BowBendr on April 23, 2016, 08:47:32 PM
Quote from: spoonbill on April 23, 2016, 07:35:07 PM

I'll let you know 1 week from today....
Getting ready to head that way.
10 4 keep me posted

spoonbill

Quote from: dirtnap on April 23, 2016, 08:53:42 PM
I have been out there the last 3 years.  I have never been out there before May 15.  Some years have been better than others.  The first year we went out there was some of the best hunting I have ever seen.  Weather will be the biggest factor and how bad the property you are hunting has been beat up.
Nice you getting me fired up.  Will be nice to get out the swamp and piney woods for a change of scenery.  You going this year?

Spring Creek Calls

Even an unsuccessful road trip is better than no road trip. As the Stinkpickle said, take a good pair of binoculars. Spotting birds at a distance plays into most successful hunts. Good luck!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

arthur

arthur

nevermind that thought i read arkansas

spoonbill

Thanks for the reply's.  Cant wait to get out there.  Hopefully the weather and birds cooperate. Anyone ever hunt around OSBORN COUNTY?   

stinkpickle

Quote from: spoonbill on April 24, 2016, 07:16:09 PM
Thanks for the reply's.  Cant wait to get out there.  Hopefully the weather and birds cooperate. Anyone ever hunt around OSBORN COUNTY?   

I haven't hunted in Osbourne county, but I know the hunting is decent in Jewell and Mitchell counties just east of there.  You can visit the world's largest ball of twine in Cawker City while you're out there.  ;)

mgm1955

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
If you're there you got a chance. Can't shoot 'em from the couch. Good luck!!