turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Iowa Tom down

Started by 224TH, April 22, 2016, 09:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

224TH

Made it out bright and early this morning! Heard one bird about 400yds away in another timber. Sat and blind called in 4 different places till about 8:30 nothing! Moved to a different timber about 2 miles away and saw one in the field feeding. Made a stock and got to 300 yards he was still feeding. Moved into 150 yds and called for 10 mins nothing. Made another move to within 100 yds but stayed in the timber for cover got to an open spot was 40 yds from the edge of the field where he had been thinking he was over a rise in the field. Sat down got settled and there they were 150 yds to my right in a pasture next to the timber I was in, slid around the tree towards them. Let out a few yeps one went into strut the other one walked away.I called sparingly and softly he struted for 45 mins looking in the timber for the hen. A crow flew over calling and he gobbled once to that, when he did I cut loose loud and long then shut up. It took him 15 more mins to break strut and come into the timber looking for her. he was at 70 yds for 5 mins then dropped into a low spot. I knew there were two trails he could come up so I moved to cover the middle of the two that way I was half right no matter what. He pop up on the outside edge of the timber 40 yds out, sight adjustment and SPLASH he went down and didn't move. He got a 1  3/4 oz load of Heavy Shot #6 Checked the time it was 10:15. 19 pounds 6oz,10 inch beard 1 1/16 spurs.
What are you guys seeing are they gobbling at all where you are?

224TH

stinkpickle

NICE!    :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: 

I'm hunting in northwest Missouri now.  Gobbling was good on Monday, but it's been almost nonexistent for the last three days, since the rain and cold moved in.  I didn't go this morning, though.

mgm1955

renegade19

1iagobblergetter

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: I went Iowas first season and heard minimal gobbling on the roost. Hunted a different area Tuesday plenty of gobbling and tagged out in less than 30 min.

owlhoot

tomstopper

2eagles

SteelerFan

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase