News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Turkey Hunting Books?

Started by BDeal, April 21, 2016, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Hi Guys-

I'm looking for books on strategies, tactics, scouting, finding birds on new properties, calling, etc. I'm not looking for stories about turkey hunting. Please suggest your favorites.

Thank You!

SwampRooster17

A member of this site pointed me in the direction of a book called Turkey hunting: A one man game by Kenny Morgan. Check it out I'm not too big on reading but when I started reading it I couldn't put it down

tha bugman

The old pro turkey hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

both of those are excellent reads. not a lot of how to in those books. more turkey hunting entertainment.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bill Cooksey

There are several good ones, but "Turkey Hunter's Digest" by Jim Spencer is the best I've ever read. Even in telling a storyhe relates the lessons learned. I believe that sticks with you better than a sterile "how to" article. It's also more fun to read.

1iagobblergetter

John  E. Phillips    The Masters secrets. Not expensive and a'lot of how to info. I've lost count on how many books I have but I remember learning quite a bit from this one.

Marc

I am also looking for a good "how to" book.  I would be interested in understanding some of the basics of biology and bird behavior.

I am particularly the breeding cycle and tactics to use as the cycle evolves.
I would also like to read about regional and species differences in both behavior and tactics.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

KYFrid

I think for a how to book you'd like either one of Ray Eye's books.  That being said, The later chapters of Kenny Morgan's One Man Game are pretty hard to beat. Its my favorite that I have read. And I read a lot!

Double B

I like Ultimate Turkey Hunting written by Harold Knight and David Hale.  It was written  in the early 90's but is a good mix of tactics, strategy and some stories. 
Followed by buzzards

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Marc on April 21, 2016, 03:37:46 PM
I am also looking for a good "how to" book.  I would be interested in understanding some of the basics of biology and bird behavior.

I am particularly the breeding cycle and tactics to use as the cycle evolves.
I would also like to read about regional and species differences in both behavior and tactics.

1iagobblergetter

Marc...check out some of Lovett Williams books.

Kwgoke

Not a book, but I like The Turkey Hunter Podcast with Andy Gagliano. Definitely some good info! I have a 35-40 min commute every day so that lets me get my turkey fix when I can't be in the woods.

Strick9

Ray Eye and Knight and Hale are pretty good books. Unfortunately in the world of wildlife you either have dull research type papers or long yarn story telling. The trick is to find the books that the masters themselves wrote as they let a lot of wisdom seep out between the words.

For that reason, Nunnery, Kelly Morgan, Lovett and a few others are hard to beat.. I prefer Morgan, Kelly and Nunnery. If I were to only be able to recommend one book it would be the The Old Pro Turkey Hunter .
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

BowBendr

If you have an open mind, Ray Eyes 'Turkey Hunters Bible' is a great book.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Izzyjoe

Ray Eye has some very good books, I've read a few from the county library, there is some other good books out there. But they all pretty much go the same way, learn to use a call like a violin, and learn good setup techniques, the rest is learned the hard way!