turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Saw something new this morning

Started by SinGin, April 18, 2016, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

Today is Mo opener so I was out and thought I had two different birds coming from opposite sides. I just waiting for the first one to show up then I heard the weirdist noise. Took me about 30 seconds to realize what it was.
Once  I did I finally figured out those two were beating the snot out of each other. I've never seen two gobblers actually fight like these guys did. So I got to watch the show from about 100 yards off And I'm glad I wasn't in the middle. Still wasn't able to close the deal on either though

Happy

I had the pleasure of witnessing it twice now. The one time I drove my truck to within 60 yards of them and they just kept at it. They were twisting their necks around each other and pecking more than they used their spurs. I found that a little odd. Was it about that way with yours?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SinGin

Oh ya, I think they may have accidentally french kissed a couple of times

Happy

Quote from: SinGin on April 18, 2016, 07:18:45 PM
Oh ya, I think they may have accidentally french kissed a couple of times

That's a good one!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dr Juice

Cool sighting. I have not encountered gobblers beating the snot out of each other ... yet.

taylorjones20

I've never seen them fighting like that but I have seen a group of gobblers fighting a little in the early season... I guess establishing pecking order...  That's cool though!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

TauntoHawk

they can really go at it, I could not believe how loud the kicks were the first time I heard it a gobbler was beating down two jakes that got a little too excited over the toms hen "me". At 60yds it sounded like someone was hitting a punching bag with a baseball bat. The noise drew the attention of a second long beard who came in screaming about having dibs on the winner and they were squaring off to go a bout just as squeezed the trigger to hand out the trophy. Hunt I won't forget

Another time I glassed two toms that spent close to 10min clubbing jakes before going to roost in the evening, I set up about 250yds from them the next morning over a jake hen set and opened with a jake gobble and some fighting purrs. They pitched the entire 250yds and landed at 11 steps and went to work on the decoy. That was neat because my wife was along and got to see the show.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SinGin

Hitting a punching bag with a ball bat is exactly what it sounded like.

Bill Cooksey

Assuming they're alone, you can usually walk right up to them. Much like a fistfight between teenage boys, they tend to forget the rest of the world exists. Kind of a cheap deal to kill one that way, but you can position yourself close aand wait until they're done.

WNCTracker

I've seen this twice and it was just as good the second time. They're intense!  One time I was mountain biking and must have come up on a hen with a new hatch because she jumped up flapping and came at my face with her toes, I pulled the bike up by the handlebars and hit her with the front tire. I can't imaging what they could do with sharp Spurs.

mgm1955

madstrutter

I got to halfway watch a fight last year. They were over the crest of a hill in a field and I kept seeing them jump up in the air attacking each other. I was a few hundred yards away watching through binoculars. It was wild. It looked like they were on a trampoline and would disappear behind the knoll when not in the air.

davisd9

Watched 3 jakes surround a longbeard 2 years ago and flog the fool out of him. Ol boy took it to one of them for a second but he was surrounded and had no chance. He started running between them trying to find a way out and when he did he took off!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mikejd

Awesome stories. That's why I love this sport. You never know and they always have you on your toes. I myself have not seen a fight buy I have heard one. And I was fairly new to hunting turkeys at the time. The sound was so intense I thought my bird had gotten eaten by a coyote or wild dog or something. Until I realized it was a bird fight. Hope to see one someday.

DocGobbler

Got to experience two bull moose fighting in Saskatchewan before, but never got to see a pair of Toms get after it. I've experienced several different bachelor groups of Rios but they generally always seem to know who the boss is