OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Frustrated.....

Started by chatterbox, April 18, 2016, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

So, I thought I was all set for the NH opener in 2 weeks.....
WRONG!!! My FFIII decided to die yesterday, and there's no way I will have the replacement here in time.
The only good thing is my shotgun shoots true POA/POI, so as long as I keep the front sight on his kneck, I should be ok.
Can't afford to put a replacement on it right now, so I have to hope I can shoot decent in the heat of battle!
I do love my FFIII, and can't wait to get a replacement, but it picked a bad time to crap out!

mgm1955

That's a shame. Good luck!

Dr Juice

Good luck. Knock 'em dead.

backwater

That really stinks.  Other than batteries, I don't recall hearing someone ever saying one died.  Do they have a lifetime warranty?

tha bugman

guesswho

Things like that are usually followed by a bright spot.  I see a dead bird in the near future.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

Frustrating as it seems an awful lot of birds rode home in trucks because of beaded shotguns. Keep your head up n good luck

Hookinembig

It will make that first bird this year more special because you did it the old fashion way!

Happy

Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chatterbox

Thanks guys!
I remembered I had a 1.5-5 X 32 on a .243. I'm gonna use that this season.
I have used this system before. Just keep the power low, and drill him in the head!

Dr Juice

Quote from: chatterbox on April 19, 2016, 04:13:53 AM
Thanks guys!
I remembered I had a 1.5-5 X 32 on a .243. I'm gonna use that this season.
I have used this system before. Just keep the power low, and drill him in the head!
Correct!

TRG3

I put a red dot on my Remington 870 for deer hunting last year and am using it for turkey hunting this year. Prior to that, I used a flo red front bead and dual flo green dots for the rear sight, both being sticky-back types that readily attached to the shotgun's vent rib. Even with glasses and fuzzy vision, it did the job on turkeys. It's a quick fix but a reliable one.

Bill Cooksey

I know a ton of folks love "red dots" and scopes. As for me, I started with a single bead. Went a long time without a miss (missed #31), and then it bothered me. Bought a dedicated turkey gun with truglo rifle sights, and missed almost 50% of my birds the next two seasons. Installed a scope, and I liked it as far as shooting, but it added weight and was cumbersome...for me. So, I bought a red dot. I never could get used to it, and my own trepidation is probably why I missed several birds the next two seasons, but I couldn't trust it again.

After that, I traded the gun for a youth model 870 20 gauge with beads. That's all I've used now for ten seasons. Yes, I still miss an occasional turkey (about 5%), but each time I know why. Usually it's because I didn't have my head down, and I know it right away. But every now and then that sucker just ducks his head at the right millisecond. Regardless, I now have complete confidence the gun will shoot exactly where it is pointed. The rest is on me...and on the turkey staying where I shot.

All that to say, don't sweat it. If the gun shoots to POA, you should kill every turkey you shoot at.

backwater

Quote from: gobblegobblegobble on April 19, 2016, 08:48:34 AM
Quote from: backwater on April 18, 2016, 04:42:32 PM
That really stinks.  Other than batteries, I don't recall hearing someone ever saying one died.  Do they have a lifetime warranty?

Better.

It's a "Forever" warranty.

That's what I thought.   It's one reason I picked Burris.

Phire Phite

That's a bummer.  It happens though, the bright side being you know you'll get taken care of. 

I just got in on the free FFIII rebate that just ended.  Won't get it in time for the season, but I'm excited to try it.  If not, it will go on my new sw22 victory.