turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tagged out in Kansas

Started by dawgfrombama, April 17, 2016, 10:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

Took my annual trip to Kansas this past weekend.  Got to the camp about midnight on Thursday.  Got up Friday and got on birds almost immediately.  Called in 3 longbeards but they hung up about 70yds out and were eventually carried away by some hens.  A couple of hours later I hear a gobble in the same area.  I slipped down the wood line and set up in a downed tree top.  I let out a series of yelps on a box call and they cut me off with gobbles. Made one more call and they closed the distance of a couple hundred yards in a matter of minutes.  When they got in range I got the big one doing all the strutting.

9 inch beard, inch spurs and 21lbs

I struck out on Friday afternoon and headed to another property yesterday morning.  I got out and heard a bird gobble before I shut the door.  Grabbed my stuff and headed in his direction.  Set up near the roost area and had a couple of gobblers in front of me just out of range after flydown.  Once the hens flew down, they headed  off with them.  I tried to get around them several times but backed out due to how open the land was.  After eating  a quick snack, I headed back to  the area where I started the morning.  I decided to be patient and call about every 20 minutes or so.  After the first series of yelps I think I hear a gobble but not sure.  I called a little later and faintly hear another gobble.  After 1 1/2 hours I hear a gobble and he's probably 200 yards behind me.  I get in position for where I think he will come into the field and he never shows.  I reach down and grab my call when he gobbles in the woods behind me not 30 yards away.  I swing my gun just in time to see 3 bids coming out of a dry creek bed.  I got the last one in line.

10inch beard   1.25 spurs 22lbs

Bird number #2 headed to the camp

MerriamMac

do you hunt on public or private out there?.... if it was private, how did you go about gaining access?

hobbes

renegade19

Hookinembig

Great job on both of the birds. Looks like you nearly decapitated the second one!

cramerhunts

Great job on a couple of great birds.

dawgfrombama

Quote from: Hookinembig on April 18, 2016, 07:22:09 AM
Great job on both of the birds. Looks like you nearly decapitated the second one!

Mag Blends through a jelly-head choke mean business at 15 yrds

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

Great hunt congratulations!

maytom

mgm1955

Dr Juice

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

SteelerFan

RutnNStrutn