turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Arkansas Opening day success

Started by Spurs, April 16, 2016, 12:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

Yesterday morning, my typical spot was dry, so I decided to make a round to an old place I haven't hunted in probably 4 years.  When I arrived around 8, I hear a bird rip off.  I pinned his location and vacated the area. 

This morning was pretty bad weather.  This guy didn't sound off until 6:25 (about 15 minutes behind schedule) when I finally got tired of waiting and hooted.  Only problem wa that he was across a highway that is a No Hunting zone on state ground.  I decided that since I had nothing else to do, I would get about 200 yards from him and play with my call a little.  He seemed to like my Hooks Ghost cut, so I gave him a little more.

About 5 minutes after giving him that "lonely lady" talk, a hen calls directly behind me.  I give her that "back up girl...he's mine". Well, we argued for a minute or so....the whole time, my gobbler across the highway is blowing the leaves off the trees.  She starts to ease away for some reason, so I directed my calls in her direction and softened up a little, ole Tom couldn't handle these to hot chicks leaving, so he started double gobbling.  I decided to tuck my call in cheek and see what happens.

About 5 minutes of silence went by and I was beginning to wonder, just as I was slipping my call back into the roof of my mount Pffffttt Vrooom!!!!!   He was just down the hill.  I twisted as quickly as possible and gave out a small 3 note Yelp.  GOOOBBBLLLEEE!!!!!!!! 

Directly to my left (I'm left handed).  I begin to slide around ever so slowly, being sure to do my best to see this bird before he sees me.  Just as I cringe as far left as possible, I see him coming up.  He was still angling behind, so I let out a little purr....GOOBBBLLLEEE!!!!  Now he was headed straight for me.  I let him walk about 10 more steps and gave him the proper dose of Winchester Longbeard #6 straight too the beak.  Then the race was on down the hill, probably a 30 degree incline. 

I was excited to say the least, especially to have called him across a highway.
A little backdrop action showing off the A5 topped off with the Sumtoy!!!

Spurs:
1" and 1-1/4"
Beard:
10" even
Weight:
20.5 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

cramerhunts

That's awesome, congratulations! Really enjoyed your write up, nicely done sir.

Ozark870Hunter

United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

Hookinembig

Great recap and awesome job. Congratulations on the nice bird.

mgm1955

Tomcat655

Go ahead .... Back up girl.. That was funny .. Congrats

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hobbes

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Spurs

Quote from: hobbes on April 16, 2016, 05:36:48 PM
Congrats!  Love the hardwoods.
I have a lot of access up here and will pass up 5 gobblers on a field to hunt 1 hardwood bird. 
This year is going to suck!!!

Izzyjoe

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

WiLL B