turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

World slam completed 6 birds in 6 years

Started by woodshopteacher, April 16, 2016, 08:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodshopteacher

I recently went to Mexico to hunt with yukkutz for the ocellated turkey. There was 6 hunters in camp during my stay and everyone got a bird. The birds were responding well to the FoxPro calling. Most of the hunters shot there birds on the edge of Milo fields. My bird was shot on a afternoon hunt. My guide had seen the birds come out of the low jungle to the corner of a cow pasture. There they walked and feed along the fence line until they hit some shade trees and a walk hole in a neighboring pasture. So we set up along the fence row half way between the water and the roost. The guides cut a brush blind into the edge of the jungle next to the fence. This was around 3 PM. After sitting in the blind at 105 degrees for hours the birds decided to travel back up along the fence line. I shot my Tom at 530pm at a distance of 30 yards using the Browning gold 12ga that was provided with Mexican number 6shot. It was awesome to hold the bird and look at all the colors. The heads are neat too, the skin texture is different and the warts that make up there crown are cool too. My bird was probably a 3 year old as he only had 1 5/8 spurs. They do shot some big ones down there. One of the guys in the following weeks camp shot a 2 1/8 spur bird. Overall it was a great trip and awesome hunt.I hunted coti mundi the rest of the week so I got to continue to see the land and wildlife there. I saw a 6 foot rattlesnake and had a giant spider in the blind with us one day too. The number of birds there is amazing, we saw thousands of doves, tons of quail, wild parrots, and other local birds. I saw turkeys everyday. On my last day I shot 3 coti montis at a water hole. The cool thing is that the night before a Jaguar was drinking there on the trail camera.

woodshopteacher

.      Brocket deer doe . Milo field

Field edge with fence row where I shot my bird.

cut Milo field

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brs2427

That's a really unique hunt!! What a beautiful bird! Congrats

Dr Juice

sixbird

Good for you man! That's quite an accomplishment!

eorlando

Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime!  I would love to that one day...

troutfisher13111

Meadow Valley Man

Phire Phite

Wow, that's a great looking bird.  Very nice. :drool:

I'd like to put that hunt on the list.

Stickbow98

Amazing trip! Congrats on a beautiful bird and achieving your slam!!  :icon_thumright:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a beautiful bird as well completing your world slam! Very cool.

woodshopteacher

It is hard to describe the noises they make. They sing on the roost, the guides have the noise the male makes on the FoxPro it is a challenge noise. Some of the guides said they had toms try to get into the blinds from the thick jungle behind them. They could pin point the noise and wanted to fight off the strange male.

Hookinembig

Congrats on completing the world slam. That is one beautiful bird.

Beards and Hooks

Congratulations, awesome looking bird. When i was in Panama years ago seen what i believe was koti mundi, they had a raccoon like tail though and i remembered the name as ku kumundu. and the memory goes LOL.