OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

About ethics

Started by Farmboy27, April 15, 2016, 05:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

With all the talk about ethics around here lately I was wondering a few things. I hunt coyotes but I'm not really serious about it. My best friend is. So is it ethical for me to shoot a coyote while turkey hunting even though I wasn't hunting for it?  Most guys would say "yes kill them all".  What about the fact that it might be a female with pups and the pups will suffer and starve.  Cruel to say the least. How about buying or leasing ground where others hunted and telling them they can't hunt any more. Because someone can't afford to buy or lease ground is it ethical that they can't enjoy their favorite hunting spot?  How about food plots. Is it ethical to try to keep the wildlife (which belongs the people) on your property and off your neighbors. I'm not bashing any of the above. I'm simply trying to say that every one has their own "code" and that ethics are far from cut and dry. That's why we follow laws and not ethics. So many times I read "I wouldn't do it unless it was the end of season" or "I would do it if I really needed a bird".  If it's wrong in good times then it's still wrong in bad times. Every person has to have his own ethical code and live by it and let others live by theirs. So long as it's legal then we all should be sticking together.

Spitten and drummen

This ought to be good  :popcorn:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

davisd9

I would be more than ok to log on this site without seeing someone complaining about ethics.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Farmboy27

Quote from: davisd9 on April 15, 2016, 05:55:39 PM
I would be more than ok to log on this site without seeing someone complaining about ethics.

Sent from the Strut Zone
Kinda the reason I posted this dude!  Getting tired of the ethical argument.

davisd9

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 15, 2016, 06:12:46 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone

Sorry, I honestly did not read the whole thing.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wirtbowhunter

Quote from: davisd9 on April 15, 2016, 06:24:14 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone

Then why voice your opinion on something that you didn't read?? Just getting your post count up?

Bill Cooksey

Ethics make for fascinating discussion, and especially so when most remain civil. They are personal in nature until one man's ethics intrude on another. Regardless, I think sportsmen should have more discussions about ethics rather than fewer. Ethical discussions such as moving in on another hunter working a bird or a fisherman going down a bank have the potential to educate those who are simply ignorant. Other issues make us all think, and that's a good thing no matter on which side of the discussion you sit.

Boilermaker

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 15, 2016, 06:41:48 PM
Ethics make for fascinating discussion, and especially so when most remain civil. They are personal in nature until one man's ethics intrude on another. Regardless, I think sportsmen should have more discussions about ethics rather than fewer. Ethical discussions such as moving in on another hunter working a bird or a fisherman going down a bank have the potential to educate those who are simply ignorant. Other issues make us all think, and that's a good thing no matter on which side of the discussion you sit.
Excellent post with good points made!

davisd9

Quote from: wirtbowhunter on April 15, 2016, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 15, 2016, 06:24:14 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone

Then why voice your opinion on something that you didn't read?? Just getting your post count up?

Take a look at my post count and see if it needs to be any higher. I admitted I was wrong.

Greg Massey

Learning what's hunter ethic farmboy27 is something you should of learned from your Hunter Education Courses. You should of learned natural history of wildlife, hunter safety and ethics. Also in taking your Hunter Education you would of learned hunter regulations, hunting techniques, equipment handling and taking care of natural resources. It's our responsibility to become safe, ethical hunters, who through example and education preserve the integrity of the sport of hunting. So farmboy27 ..if it's about ethics i think as hunters it's up to use to set a good example for future generations. So ethics is showing respect for our wildlife and the impact on the environment while hunting. Wanting to be careless with our actions can have a big impact on our environment with not respecting ourselves in the field of hunting. So i think the decision to shot a coyote while your turkey hunting is removing one animal from our environment and protecting another the wild turkeys and other small game. So it all has to do with the balancing of nature. As hunters we are not looking at this forum as a way of trying to shove ethics as who's right or who's wrong. It's the decision of each person as to what kind of impact they want to have on wildlife and nature.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 15, 2016, 06:47:39 PM
Learning what's hunter ethic farmboy27 is something you should of learned from your Hunter Education Courses. You should of learned natural history of wildlife, hunter safety and ethics. Also in taking your Hunter Education you would of learned hunter regulations, hunting techniques, equipment handling and taking care of natural resources. It's our responsibility to become safe, ethical hunters, who through example and education preserve the integrity of the sport of hunting. So farmboy27 ..if it's about ethics i think as hunters it's up to use to set a good example for future generations. So ethics is showing respect for our wildlife and the impact on the environment while hunting. Wanting to be careless with our actions can have a big impact on our environment with not respecting ourselves in the field of hunting. So i think the decision to shot a coyote while your turkey hunting is removing one animal from our environment and protecting another the wild turkeys and other small game. So it all has to do with the balancing of nature. As hunters we are not looking at this forum as a way of trying to shove ethics as who's right or who's wrong. It's the decision of each person as to what kind of impact they want to have on wildlife and nature.
In hunter safety they taught us safety. It's not called hunters ethics training!  I clearly stated I wasn't bashing anyone for anything. I was trying to say that all this talk about ethics is useless since everyone has their own theory on ethics and should just respect that in other hunters.

Bill Cooksey

I can certainly respect someone's opinion while still debating a different one. It's really one of the best ways to grow as a sportsman.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Boilermaker on April 15, 2016, 06:45:42 PM
Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 15, 2016, 06:41:48 PM
Excellent post with good points made!

:agreed:

Sometimes ethics & etiquette (or common courtesy) get confused here. Setting up too close, parking too close, etc. etc. does not always mean unethical behavior. Rude? Clueless? Ignorant? Maybe... Unethical? Maybe not.

To me ethics can be compared to integrity - "Doing the right thing, even if no one is watching".

The whole "do what you want as long as it's legal" sentiment needs to be used with extreme caution.

Greg Massey

If you read it again farmboy27 i said hunter education courses and if you were listening during hunter safety you would of learned about ethics also..I'm not bashing anyone either as hunters we have a responsibility to be good stewards of the land and wildlife. Hunter safety is conducting yourself in a safe matter and hunter education is learning how to be good stewards and responsible hunters and the impact we have on our natural resources. 

Bill Cooksey

Maybe semantics. If those actions are due to ignorance, I wouldn't see it as a breach of ethics. If you do it despite knowing it's the wrong thing to do, for a host of reasons, I'd consider it an ethical breach.