turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Am I the only one?

Started by Spurs, April 15, 2016, 02:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Libertarians say about the gubment "Leave me alone".  Not a slam at you at  all.  Hope you did not take it that way.  Libertarians are definitely on the right of the political spectrum.

A libertarian says if I don't want a seat belt and it hurts no one else, the government has no right to make me wear one.  Just an example.

We just have to be sure that any method or gadget is not so effective as to affect population health.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 04:45:26 PM
Quote from: albrubacker on April 15, 2016, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 03:00:14 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on April 15, 2016, 02:46:39 PM
Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 02:12:12 PM
I see it a bunch on forums, Facebook, and magazines.  "Ban this product!!!" or "ban that style of hunting!!!"

Am I the only one that is such a strict conservative (politically speaking) that I feel that following current laws is enough? 

Don't get me wrong, if there were say a brand new, "Turkey Killa Thrilla" decoy that would coax a turkey half a mile through downtown New York into my lap, by all means.......BUT I want to see documented evidence, proven by multiple state agencies/third party assistance (this is a must), and sources for the public to view this evidence,  WITH public input prior to the ban taking place. 

Am I the only person that does not trust our government to handle these issues?
You sound more Libertarian!   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Your definition of liberal and conservative is much different than mine.  LoL
Libertarians are nothing like a liberal!
I cover all spectrums to an extent, but that's another conversation that will not be done on social media.  Lol

Happy hit on something that I was afraid would happen.  I do think the restrictions, at least here in AR are good as is...with the exception of the season dates.  With that said, I am saying that killing with no guidelines is bad.  Baiting, night hunting, killing hens, etc. have been proven to dwindle a flock to the point of 0% chance of rebounding.  Those laws are needed and have proof the back them up.  Reaping, fanning, decoys, calls, shotguns that shoot 40+ yards DO NOT. 

So, without evidence, there should be no banning of said methods.  If they can prove that without a doubt any of those, or other, styles of hunting can diminish a flock to a point of no return...then outlaw it.

I'm not convinced that baiting should be outlawed. It's being done on deer, why not turkey?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on April 15, 2016, 05:07:33 PM
I see it a bunch on forums, Facebook, and magazines.  "Ban this product!!!" or "ban that style of hunting!!!"

Am I the only one that is such a strict conservative (politically speaking) that I feel that following current laws is enough? 

Don't get me wrong, if there were say a brand new, "Turkey Killa Thrilla" decoy that would coax a turkey half a mile through downtown New York into my lap, by all means.......BUT I want to see documented evidence, proven by multiple state agencies/third party assistance (this is a must), and sources for the public to view this evidence,  WITH public input prior to the ban taking place. 

I cover all spectrums to an extent, but that's another conversation that will not be done on social media.  Lol

Happy hit on something that I was afraid would happen.  I do think the restrictions, at least here in AR are good as is...with the exception of the season dates.  With that said, I am saying that killing with no guidelines is bad.  Baiting, night hunting, killing hens, etc. have been proven to dwindle a flock to the point of 0% chance of rebounding.  Those laws are needed and have proof the back them up.  Reaping, fanning, decoys, calls, shotguns that shoot 40+ yards DO NOT. 

So, without evidence, there should be no banning of said methods.  If they can prove that without a doubt any of those, or other, styles of hunting can diminish a flock to a point of no return...then outlaw it.

I'm not convinced that baiting should be outlawed. It's being done on deer, why not turkey?

You, sir, aren't a turkey hunter if you'd even entertain asking that question.

Firstly, corn can be disastrous for turkeys when it becomes exposed to moisture and grows harmful bacteria.

Secondly, corn is like crack cocaine for turkeys.  We have a brain, 10 fingers, 10 toes, guns, shells, camo, calls, and decoys.  How much easier does it need to be to kill a turkey?  The commercialization of hunting has finally caught up to turkey hunting.  The sacredness and art of it is being lost in favor of gadgets, gimmicks, and pansies who want to throw the grand bird over there shoulders without having earned the right to kill one.

g8rvet

QuoteFirstly, corn can be disastrous for turkeys when it becomes exposed to moisture and grows harmful bacteria.

Pretty sure you are talking about MOLD that grows aphlatoxins.  Even low levels can affect brood success (Really tough on poults) and cause liver issues.  High doses are quick killers.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 15, 2016, 03:59:20 PM
We all have to limit our shotguns to 3 rounds for the majority of the game we hunt because of market hunters killing ducks in the early 1900's (not to mention the double-barrel clan cried foul). Does a shotgun REALLY need to be plugged today? Why? The amount of game harvested is dictated by bag limits. Period. You can kill 6 ducks per day, one turkey (usually), etc. The outlaw is going to kill more than allowed regardless if his gun holds 1, 2, 3, or 5 shells. The ethical, law-abiding hunter will not.
Since you keyed on waterfowl, and that's where many of these regulations began, you are mistaken in your thoughts on limits. The average hunter rarely kills a limit. It's there to keep people from killing more on those good days where it all comes together. Basically, the laws on plugs, baiting, etc. are there to make killing a limit more difficult. If one season, duck hunters all killed a limit of six on every hunt, the seasons and limits would have to be slashed. All those regulations work together to regulate the total annual kill and keep it in the compensatory category. In fact, if hunters started just killing, on average, one more duck per hunt, we would soon the season and limit would have to be cut in short order. Daily limits are only a small piece in the puzzle.

Considering the number of times I, and others I know, have thrown another shell in after emptying the magazine and killed a fourth duck from a flock, I can well imagine how many slow 2-3 duck days would have ended with a much fuller strap.

Spurs

Hmmmmm....apples and oranges. 
This year is going to suck!!!

davisd9

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 15, 2016, 06:45:37 PM

Firstly, corn can be disastrous for turkeys when it becomes exposed to moisture and grows harmful bacteria.

Secondly, corn is like crack cocaine for turkeys.  We have a brain, 10 fingers, 10 toes, guns, shells, camo, calls, and decoys.  How much easier does it need to be to kill a turkey?  The commercialization of hunting has finally caught up to turkey hunting.  The sacredness and art of it is being lost in favor of gadgets, gimmicks, and pansies who want to throw the grand bird over there shoulders without having earned the right to kill one.

I concur with the majority of this. Lots of spur necklaces and hats in this world that were not earned.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 15, 2016, 06:53:09 PM
We all have to limit our shotguns to 3 rounds for the majority of the game we hunt because of market hunters killing ducks in the early 1900's (not to mention the double-barrel clan cried foul). Does a shotgun REALLY need to be plugged today? Why? The amount of game harvested is dictated by bag limits. Period. You can kill 6 ducks per day, one turkey (usually), etc. The outlaw is going to kill more than allowed regardless if his gun holds 1, 2, 3, or 5 shells. The ethical, law-abiding hunter will not.
Since you keyed on waterfowl, and that's where many of these regulations began, you are mistaken in your thoughts on limits. The average hunter rarely kills a limit. It's there to keep people from killing more on those good days where it all comes together. Basically, the laws on plugs, baiting, etc. are there to make killing a limit more difficult. If one season, duck hunters all killed a limit of six on every hunt, the seasons and limits would have to be slashed. All those regulations work together to regulate the total annual kill and keep it in the compensatory category. In fact, if hunters started just killing, on average, one more duck per hunt, we would soon the season and limit would have to be cut in short order. Daily limits are only a small piece in the puzzle.

Considering the number of times I, and others I know, have thrown another shell in after emptying the magazine and killed a fourth duck from a flock, I can well imagine how many slow 2-3 duck days would have ended with a much fuller strap.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this theory. Daily limits are set with the notion that each hunter just might limit out on each hunt. By your calculations, they could raise the daily bag limit to 10 ducks, as long as you used single-shot guns? A slow day in the blind is a slow day. A great day could be a limit in the first hour...or someone that hunts all day to kill 6. Six dead ducks are six dead ducks.

I will agree with you that hunter efficiency / success is definitely a consideration when establishing daily bag limits and season lengths.

snapper1982

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 15, 2016, 02:26:41 PM
I don't trust the hunting industry not to exploit wildlife for profit and develop products that facilitate higher levels of success with no sense of stewardship or concern as to what is actually best for the resource.

Reaping is as close to a 100% tactic as you will find in any form of hunting.  I'd throw a party and invite everyone from this forum  if they made it illegal nationwide.
Why are all you people so up tight about reaping! Who gives a rats azz how someone tags their birds. If they was using it to go over limits then fine but why do you care if he reaps his and is DONE for the season! So the same guy fills his tags by calling in birds and that some how magically does not take the exact same number of birds from the flock? No matter what way someone chooses to kill them they can still only legally kill the limit which has nothing to do with the style or weapon chosen and still only takes the same number of birds.

Marc

As I posted on a similar thread, I think as hunters, we have to be stewards of the sport (both in regulations and habitat)...

Personally, I feel all electronics (calls and decoys) should not be allowed for waterfowl or turkey hunting...  If some means or method ends up being overly productive, it should be evaluated as to fair-chase value and/or conservation.

I write to my elected officials as to my feelings on many subjects.  I have written letters of condemnation as to electronic waterfowl decoys, and will likely write as to other subjects.

I understand that shooting a bird out of a roost is legal in some states (heck it might be here).  I would adamantly oppose such practices being legal.  I have seen guys shoot birds out of a roost before (poachers), and it was not difficult, ethical, or in any way, shape, or form hunting.

Other aspects of hunting (such as shooting ducks on the water or using decoys to hunt turkeys) are far more personal choices for ethics.  As individuals, we do (and should) have some choices to make about the method and means to hunt.  Many of my personal ethics I do not impose upon others, and they are choices I make to enrich my own personal hunting experience...  Not necessarily for you or him though.

Once these laws are made, we have to live with them, and respect others who wish to utilize or not certain means available.  That is not to say, that as a hunting community we should not voice our opinions as to the method and means of take, when it is obvious that such means or methods create an unfair advantage though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Hunter mortality, with today's regulations, counts for very little in the overall death of ducks.  habitat drives duck populations. 

dutch@fx4

Not yo many guys are willing to craw threw wet grass thorns stones and dirt to reap a bird. Heck most guts don't get 100 yards from there atv or truck nowadays .reaping turkeys is not going to make them disappear. Should we ban atv .what next

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 15, 2016, 08:09:54 PM
Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 15, 2016, 06:53:09 PM

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this theory. Daily limits are set with the notion that each hunter just might limit out on each hunt. By your calculations, they could raise the daily bag limit to 10 ducks, as long as you used single-shot guns? A slow day in the blind is a slow day. A great day could be a limit in the first hour...or someone that hunts all day to kill 6. Six dead ducks are six dead ducks.

I will agree with you that hunter efficiency / success is definitely a consideration when establishing daily bag limits and season lengths.

You can disagree, but any waterfowl biologist will tell you I'm right. I can give you some contacts if you wish. Just part of being in the fowl business for a long time. I don't know much about a whole lot of things, but that's something in which I'm pretty well versed. And, yes, in theory, requiring waterfowl ears to use single shots would probably allow limits and seasons to increase. I don't recall the latest numbers, but if the average duck hunter averages two ducks per hunt under current regulations but that average suddenly jumped to four, we'd have a problem. Now, the average is far less than two per day, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Some states use a similar model to manage their own wildlife. Mine does with turkey. When the average exceeds what is anticipated, while knowing most don't kill a limit, something has to give.

Yours is a very common, and understandable, misconception.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 15, 2016, 06:45:37 PM

I don't think that I would say that I am not a turkey hunter. I'm a turkey hunter who hasn't used baiting, considering that I don't, I didn't know that there were side affects that severe. How does a pile of corn affect a turkey population but a corn field doesn't?

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 07:35:01 PM

Hmmmmm....apples and oranges.

How's that?