OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Am I the only one?

Started by Spurs, April 15, 2016, 02:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

I see it a bunch on forums, Facebook, and magazines.  "Ban this product!!!" or "ban that style of hunting!!!"

Am I the only one that is such a strict conservative (politically speaking) that I feel that following current laws is enough? 

Don't get me wrong, if there were say a brand new, "Turkey Killa Thrilla" decoy that would coax a turkey half a mile through downtown New York into my lap, by all means.......BUT I want to see documented evidence, proven by multiple state agencies/third party assistance (this is a must), and sources for the public to view this evidence,  WITH public input prior to the ban taking place. 

Am I the only person that does not trust our government to handle these issues?
This year is going to suck!!!

Spitten and drummen

I honestly don't trust the government to do jack for me or my best intrest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I don't trust the hunting industry not to exploit wildlife for profit and develop products that facilitate higher levels of success with no sense of stewardship or concern as to what is actually best for the resource.

Reaping is as close to a 100% tactic as you will find in any form of hunting.  I'd throw a party and invite everyone from this forum  if they made it illegal nationwide.

SteelerFan

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 15, 2016, 02:26:41 PM
I don't trust the hunting industry not to exploit wildlife for profit and develop products that facilitate higher levels of success with no sense of stewardship or concern as to what is actually best for the resource.

Reaping is as close to a 100% tactic as you will find in any form of hunting.  I'd throw a party and invite everyone from this forum  if they made it illegal nationwide.

:agreed:  Profit is the mother of invention. Granted, I think advancement is good - in most cases (i.e.  Thermacell), but at some point WE have to establish boundaries, along with wildlife agencies. Hunters have been trying new gadgets and gizmos since the first Indian fastened together some wing bones and sucked on it; but remote control this, or heat-seeking laser guided that - we should be cautious.

g8rvet

Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 02:12:12 PM
I see it a bunch on forums, Facebook, and magazines.  "Ban this product!!!" or "ban that style of hunting!!!"

Am I the only one that is such a strict conservative (politically speaking) that I feel that following current laws is enough? 

Don't get me wrong, if there were say a brand new, "Turkey Killa Thrilla" decoy that would coax a turkey half a mile through downtown New York into my lap, by all means.......BUT I want to see documented evidence, proven by multiple state agencies/third party assistance (this is a must), and sources for the public to view this evidence,  WITH public input prior to the ban taking place. 

You sound more Libertarian!   :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bill Cooksey

How others hunt is none of my business as long as it doesn't affect me. If a product or technique appears to possibly tilt the scale to additive mortality, it becomes my business. If that happens, I would prefer to outlaw the product /technique before restricting opportunity.

Spurs

Quote from: g8rvet on April 15, 2016, 02:46:39 PM

Your definition of liberal and conservative is much different than mine.  LoL

Spurs

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 15, 2016, 02:54:59 PM
How others hunt is none of my business as long as it doesn't affect me. If a product or technique appears to possibly tilt the scale to additive mortality, it becomes my business. If that happens, I would prefer to outlaw the product /technique before restricting opportunity.
My point is that there must be evidence and not just hear-say. 

From what everyone on here has said so far, there is about a 50/50 shot with most of the controversial products.  Now, is that enough to sway the population to the point of a decline....I HIGHLY doubt it.

BowBendr

I am Conservative. I do not get on the band wagon of banning anything. I believe in simply not supporting it. Free market practices will kill it eventually. I believe that if enough people stand together in non-support, you get the best results.
Example: a strip club wanted to open here in our town. People fought it but couldnt stop it. They were granted a license and opened. Nobody supported it, it lasted a while, was crappy to start with and promptly went out of business...mission accomplished.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Happy

I can't say as I agree with it as far as hunting goes. We should all be adult enough to throttle back on our own and be good stewards of our resources but for the most part we are not. We have to many people looking for the quickest, easiest way to kill things no matter what. Unfortunately marketing realizes this and fuels it even more. It's been that way throughout history not just present day. Money drives it all. From buffalo hides to all the hunting toys we have today. Money coupled with a desire to get what we want at all costs as long as it doesn't involve any work on our end. It's not just hunting, it is society in general. Sad.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Happy makes a good point ^^^^

Hunters have always questioned what the next guy might be using, or how they're using it. We all have to limit our shotguns to 3 rounds for the majority of the game we hunt because of market hunters killing ducks in the early 1900's (not to mention the double-barrel clan cried foul). Does a shotgun REALLY need to be plugged today? Why? The amount of game harvested is dictated by bag limits. Period. You can kill 6 ducks per day, one turkey (usually), etc. The outlaw is going to kill more than allowed regardless if his gun holds 1, 2, 3, or 5 shells. The ethical, law-abiding hunter will not.

We need to police ourselves, in order to preserve the integrity of the sport. That's where it becomes all gray & cloudy. Each has their own view of what should or should not be allowed.

Like the government or not, we don't have many other options to regulate and manage OUR wildlife in this country. The whole concept of allowing anyone, anytime, to kill anything - but "please stop" when you think you've reached your "limit", does not sound like the best of ideas to me.

Greg Massey

Hunt as you want and don't judge others. Use whatever means you think you have to,  that decision is up to you and you only.  If a person wants to play with the greatest latest turkey hunting equipment again that up to him and his pocket book...i do agree we need to protect the integrity of the sport...

Farmboy27

I agree 100%. A few years ago PA made crossbows legal and everybody seemed to think that the deer herd would be destroyed in a year or two. Didn't happen. Every time something new comes along the people who chose not to use it want to oppose it. Traditional archers hated compound bows when they first came out. Compound shooters hate crossbows. Traditional black powder guys hate inlines. ( realize not everyone in these groups oppose the others, just making examples). Each of the older style groups think or thought that the new style would ruin their hunting. It's just human , and hunting, nature to press our beliefs and thinking on others and to consider our own ideas and "ethics" to be the right ones.

albrubacker

Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 03:00:14 PM

Libertarians are nothing like a liberal!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Spurs

Quote from: albrubacker on April 15, 2016, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: Spurs on April 15, 2016, 03:00:14 PM

Libertarians are nothing like a liberal!
I cover all spectrums to an extent, but that's another conversation that will not be done on social media.  Lol

Happy hit on something that I was afraid would happen.  I do think the restrictions, at least here in AR are good as is...with the exception of the season dates.  With that said, I am saying that killing with no guidelines is bad.  Baiting, night hunting, killing hens, etc. have been proven to dwindle a flock to the point of 0% chance of rebounding.  Those laws are needed and have proof the back them up.  Reaping, fanning, decoys, calls, shotguns that shoot 40+ yards DO NOT. 

So, without evidence, there should be no banning of said methods.  If they can prove that without a doubt any of those, or other, styles of hunting can diminish a flock to a point of no return...then outlaw it.