OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buying first decoy . which one?

Started by SnapT, April 15, 2016, 11:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnapT

I'm looking at getting my first decoy and trying to decide which one to get . Currently looking at the HS Strut Suzie Snood and the Redhead reality series brood hen staked . any experience with either one ???   (I do plan on getting a Jake as #2) . Or , is it wiser to get the jake first and the hen later instead ??

Bass Pro in Vaughn has a turkey hunting demo tomorrow with a draw for an avian X so maybe I wont have to decide lol .

cheers

wvmntnhick

I like suzie. I just don't like to transport her. I want a decoy that folds down easy. Suzie doesn't at all. I'd get the hen before the jake but that's me. Personally, if t were me, while not as lifelike as some decoys, I'd be looking at the Montana 3D decoys. I'm considering selling my avian, suzie snood and b-mobile to get a pair of the montana's

SnapT

Thanks . and if you mean the Miss Purr fect 3d I will take a look at it too .

cheers

Timmer

Do some research on posts here.  There are plenty of opinions on what decoys to use and when.  It's a bit of a controversial topic given people's strong opinions.

One thing that might help people offer opinions is to note how and where you are going to use them.  Are you a blind hunter?  Run and gunning? Carrying them in a pack on your back or in a bag in your hand? 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

SnapT

thanks .

I'm new . Like green as grass new lol .      A buddy from work is going to take me out for my first hunt from a blind and another has offered me use of his property for turkey's (he hunts deer) as he doesn't ,  so that will be running and gunning (or more than likely flying by the seat of my pants) .

cheers

husker

I have the Montana Purrfect pair (Jake & Hen) and have been very happy with them so far.  Easy to deploy in a hurry and then collapse and stick in the back pouch of your vest.

backwater

Depends on how much you want to spend.  Over the years, I have owned several but the DSD upright hen is my favorite.  You definitely don't have to spend that much on a decoy but she sure is nice.  Lol

g8rvet

Dave Smith is my new favorite for sure (I have the leading hen).  I do have some lower quality rubber (upright and feeding) and they have watched quite a few gobblers die.  If money were tight, I would want an upright and a feeder hen-lesser quality for 2 vs more realism for one - I like the flock look and the feeder seems to relax them).  I have jake decoys, but don't use them much.  If I knew I was on a dominant bird and was willing to spook less dominant ones, I would use a jake. Otherwise, hens only.  I only use decoys in a field, on private and leave the dekes at home when I will be in the woods or on public. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

I have 2 of the Suzie Snood and they are nice decoys. But if i were going to spend that much for one of them i would buy the Avian X decoys. Up right hen and feeder..

Cut N Run

The Delta jake  I bought in 1999 has had his butt stomped more than a few times, but he still looks and works great.  There's one flyer pellet of #6 copper plated lead embedded in his neck from about 2001, but aside from that, he's good as new.  Actually, better than new because I've given him a few refresher paint jobs with acrylic paint and sharpie markers. I have used that jake by himself with great success and I paired him with a feeding hen (also a Delta by HS Strut) with equal success.  I use decoys less than 50% of the time, but they have held up well for me and buddies of mine who hunted over them.

Good luck whatever you decide to go with.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Spyder

Avian X are on sale at Rogers for $59.

I am big fan of DSD, love my new Jake, he has already help out with one gobbler .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Avian X feeding hen would be my choice as well.  As stated, Rogers has them on sale right now until the 18th of April with free shipping.  I had my feeding hen violated today by a jake.  Great action.

captpete

This will be my 3rd tear using DSD's. My jake decoy has had his butt kicked 4 times in the last 2 yrs. There is something about him that Toms & Jakes just don't like. I have used just the hen, but haven't gotten near the response that I do with when using the Jake.

Gobble!

They will all work the same in my eyes. It's all hunter preference.

SnapT

Thanks everyone .  I look forward to checking several of them out tomorrow .
Shipping is sometimes a pain (Canada here) so if I can get it locally it saves me some pesos .

cheers